Red sore on Red Severum

Kimanngordon

This appeared today. She was ok yesterday. I see the white soot on her tio fin and these red soots on her side. Any ideas what it is?

Kimanngordon

This appeared today. She was ok yesterday. I see the white soot on her tio fin and these red soots on her side. Any ideas what it is?
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 125g
How long has the tank been running?1 mo
Does it have a filter?fx6
Does it have a heater?no
What is the water temperature? 78-79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? Red severum, Red parrot, fñagtail fish, 3 flagtaim catfish, zebra knifefish, 3 coryadoras, 6” pleco, guppies, shovelnose, 6 rainbows, (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Nothing needed
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Sand, no vacuuming needed

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes filter moved from 90g running tank and sponge filter from other 125 g cycled tank
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test kits
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40
pH: stable at 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x
How much do you feed your fish? What they can eat in 30 seconds
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval, Aquatic - no cheap stiff
Do you feed frozen? Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? This morning
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Red, raised spots and white spot on too fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No

photos already posted.

Blacksheep1

Sorry to ask more questions but did you get this fish yesterday ? Which had no issues but when you got it home it did ? Is there a time frame on when you got it home to it starting with the symptoms ? You said your tank has been running for one month and you don’t use water conditioners ? It’s a large tank but Unheated ? What is the room or average tank temperature ? Any swings during the night ?
I’m not criticising I’m just trying to clarify all perimeters. How’s the pretty fishy doing now ? :D
Could it of injured itself on your decor like the wood when being transferred maybe ?
Again sorry for all the questions just trying to help !

Kimanngordon

No, I have had her for a year.
i live in theCaribbean, AC house kept at 78, water room temp
Water is tested before adding to tank after sitting overnight to get room temp - no chlorine or other contaminates in the water
No temp changes AC on 24/7- except when power goes out and then I can add ice bags if temp is rising too much
She swims n eats great, no changes in her personality
I appreciate any help. Still only been fish keeping for 3 years.

Blacksheep1

Ah okay. Well let’s see if we can help ! First off I’d recommend a large (50%) water change to halve those nitrates . The absolute best thing you can do it water as clean as possible. I’m not well up on the meds available in your area so maybe someone else can step in and recommend something to you that they’ve used before and know will help.

I haven’t kept Severums before , so research this is safe first, but maybe adding salt to your tank might help, you then have to remove by large water changes which again is only a good thing. Hopefully some one will step in that keeps these and will be able to better recommend something more specific for you

Kimanngordon

Ah okay. Well let’s see if we can help ! First off I’d recommend a large (50%) water change to halve those nitrates . The absolute best thing you can do it water as clean as possible. I’m not well up on the meds available in your area so maybe someone else can step in and recommend something to you that they’ve used before and know will help.

I haven’t kept Severums before , so research this is safe first, but maybe adding salt to your tank might help, you then have to remove by large water changes which again is only a good thing. Hopefully some one will step in that keeps these and will be able to better recommend something more specific for you
Thank you. Yes as stated in both posts she is esting, swimming and acting normal.

Blacksheep1

Thank you. Yes as stated in both posts she is esting, swimming and acting normal.
Sorry I edited as I realised ,I blame sleep depravation !

do you dechlorinate your water at each change ? She’s a lovely fish by the way

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Holmyjj42
Replies
Views
HenryC
Replies