Red Sore On Gill!

1. Skatersixx

Skatersixx New Member Member

So, one of my mollies developed a red sore on one of her gills. I've kept the water tested and kept everything up. Been having a massive problem with algae in the tank. Just resorted to chemical treatment of it. that one was a hard choice to make. But the smell of that stuff and the stubbornness of it..phew. Anyhow, for the past 2 1/2 weeks one of my oldest females has had a red sore on her gill. Now I haven't had any major nitrate spikes or anything so I'm honestly not sure what has caused it. This started before my recent problem with the algae. I've kept her with the family for this time period and seen no spread of it, so i don't think it's an infection. She isn't acting any different, but it still raises a concern for me.

2. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello,
    Do you have a picture?
    What's the tank size and tank stocking?
    If there are other fish, do any of them have the same marking or are they showing agression to this particular molly?

Dosing aquarium salt wouldn't hurt, it would prevent further infection and kill of parasites plus, mollies love salt (at least mine do)

Dosing = I believe it's One Tablsespoon per 5 gallons (could be wrong though).