Red Slime!! :(

TylerH510

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes i have a horrible red algae problem and its spreading fast. i have a yellow clownfish, fire shrimp, scooter blenny, 3 hermit crabs,3 snails,xenia, tiny frogspawn,green star polp. i want to shut the lights off for a couple of day but i dont know what to do with my fish any suggestion to get rid of it?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long are your lights on in your tank each day? Your fish will be fine with no light but the corals will not. What I would do is look up how much lighting each of your corals require a day then keep the light on only for the time needed to cover that. I have that same issure in my tank. It went down now that I have some fish and crabs that eat it. You could always add some more crabs. More water changes will also probably help a little bit.

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So we can find out the cause of the red slime so we can remove that can you answer a couple of questions.

1) how big is your tank, how long has it been set up?
2) Whats your maintenance schedule?
3) what are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, phosphorus, salinity, alkalinity, calcium and what brand do you use?
4) what powerheads do you have in the tank, total GPH would be good?

Shutting the lights off will not do anything to remove the red slime, it will do more to kill the corals!

When most people have red slime it can be caused by a combination of too many nutrients in the water and a lack of flow creating "dead spots" in the tank, these areas harbor the nutrients and cause the out break.

Once you have answered these questions more i can help you further, i have had red slime in a couple of my Saltwater tanks and have successfully got rid of it from the tanks each time.

Anna

TylerH510

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my tank is 29 gallon biocube it has been set up for almost 2 months now
as far as maintenance schedule i do water changes around every 3 weeks and change my filters 1 every month, feed fish every other day aswell as part A (calcium)@B (buffer)
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, salinity 1.22
Powerheads: Koralia nano 240 gph

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TylerH510 said:
as far as maintenance schedule i do water changes around every 3 weeks and change my filters 1 every month, feed fish every other day aswell as part A (calcium)@B (buffer)
Your info says you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is. There is a great post about it in the saltwater beginners forum which i highly recommend you read. What are your nitrates and phosphates at? In a biocube like that you should be doing water changes at least once a week. How long has it been cycled? 2 months seems awfully early to have it fully stocked with fish and corals. Also, your salinity should be a little higher (around 1.025) for the corals.

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Naeusu said:
Your info says you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is. There is a great post about it in the saltwater beginners forum which i highly recommend you read. What are your nitrates and phosphates at? In a biocube like that you should be doing water changes at least once a week. How long has it been cycled? 2 months seems awfully early to have it fully stocked with fish and corals. Also, your salinity should be a little higher (around 1.025) for the corals.
+1 on what Naeusu said.

TylerH510 said:
I would up the amount of water changes you do per week, you didn't post readings for nitrAte or phosphorus but based on your stock list and your water change schedule i am going to bet they are high!! I would try and change 5 gallons a week you can split this into 2 smaller changes per week or 1 larger one. When you do the water change use the syphon to suck out as much red slime as you can from the rocks etc... its comes off really easy.

I would also purchase another small powerhead, in my 24g Nano cube i had 2 koralia nano's and a return pump from the sump i modified onto the tank. To keep the water circulating with no dead spots.

The lower salinity can also have an effect on the red slime as letting it get too high!

If you can let us know the readings for nitrate and phosphate. I would start testing twice a week before water changes and then after while you get use to your tank, you are a little over stocked for the size of tank and being such a young tank you will not have learn't how fast your tank can change water parameters (being a smaller tank).

What filters do you have in your tank? The only filters i run in my tank is live rock, some filters can be nitrate/phosphate factories.

Anna

mel7967

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used to have a red slime algae problem. I had tried the black out method before I had any corals. It decreased the amount of the slime algae for a day or two but it always came right back. I was recommended by a friend to try chemiclean red slime remover. I was hesitant but I did try this product as a last resort after reading so many comments on the dangers of dosing your tank with products. I have to admit though, this worked really well and got rid of the problem and i didn't notice any harm to my fish. As far as the biocube, I love mine. Im not sure what adjustments you have made but what has worked the absolute best for me is I got rid of the standard cartridge filter they recommend (I feel this is a must). In the first compartment in the back right side I use a piece of fluval with chemipure elite behind it. In the second compartment, I got rid of the bioballs slowly so as not to throw my tank into another cycle. On the top of that tray I use a small amount of filter floss. Weekly water changes and my tank has been doing beautiful. Since making those changes a few months ago I have had very clear water, no more problematic algae and a big increase in the spread of my purple coraline algae. Also water paramaters have been very stable.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Phosphate and silicate removal is first thing and more water flow in tank get a koralia 2 instead and filter media could have something to do with the problem as well.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads