Red Slime Algae Question

1. elapid Initiate Member

I have a new FOWLR tank and have started to see a lot of red slime algae popping up recently. I did search the forums for it but all I saw was information about removing it. I am wondering if it is really a problem if I don't have corals. I don't really mind picking a few pieces out whenever I do a water change to keep it from completely taking over; I'd just like to know if it does any damage to fish or invertebrates.

2. reefdude Member Member

The biggest problem with it is it will continue to grow and take over your tank. I've had it before. It's best to use the powdered chemical (can't remember the name) to get rid of it rather than pick it. They say when picking it, it can release spores that will only grow again so you're only temporarily solving it. When you dose it, turn the skimmer up on high and have at least a 5 gal bucket ready because the skimmer will fill aound every 2 minute until the chemical is dissipated. You will know when to go normal when the skimmer slows down to a normal rate and the red color comes out of the water. At least thats how I handled it...:;dk

3. Oil_Fan Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you're dealing with some sort of cyanobacteria. As reef dude mentioned, there are a couple of chemical responses you can use to combat it. But what's really important it track down the cause.

On another forum I chat on, a bunch of us came to realize we had one thing in common. We all used San Fransico Bay Brine Shrimp. I switched to a different brand as a result.

There are 2 things out there that I'm aware of that are effective in combating cyano and I've used both:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Boyd_Che...ations-Boyd_Enterprises-BE1115-FIMERM-vi.html

Very effective. Will keep cyano away for a good 2 to 3 months. Usage: turn off protein skimmer, UV and remove carbon. Add airstone to be safe. Treat. Do a 20% water change 2 days later. Add fresh carbon and watch the skimmer...it will foam and cause micro bubbles.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4121

Not as effective. I'm on my 3 treatment. However you don't have to remove anything though I did remove my carbon. Skimmer will go crazy and foam and produce micro bubbles. It'll need to be adjusted. No water change to do.

If you have the ability to deal with the water change and can keep O2 levels up for a few days, I'd use the Chemi-Clean. After 2 days, it'll be pretty much gone. A week later everything is back to normal.

4. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there, how is the red slime doing? Hope is gone.