Red shrimp genetics.

barbiespoodle

I recently had a crash in my red shrimp tank thanks to a major hydra infestation. Thanks to the help on this wonderful forum, I was able to get rid of the hydra problem and have been keeping a close eye on the tank to make sure it doesn't reoccur.

The reds are on the rebound, I'm seeing new babies and a slight increase in the population.

Now to my question. I have a cull tank that has been extremely prolific to the point that I even upgraded to a tank twice the size for them.

In this tank there are culls from my red and blue tank. Of course they have been interbreeding creating an interesting mix of colors, including of course your plain browns and some of those browns are this weird, beautiful, kind of dark tiger stripping.

But in the mix are also some nice dark pure reds.

So now I'm wondering if I put these dark reds back into my original red tank am I running the risk of ruining my reds?

Thus the color genetics question. I worked for years with show dogs and had a very successful show rabbit breeding program so understand how colors genetics work with those, it's a matter of knowing what are recessive, dominate, and dilute color genes. Shrimp I don't any of this.

So to ask those you know better than I do about shrimp color genetics, can I add these nice dark reds back into my red tank without compromising the quality of my red color?

ProudPapa

I doubt very much that I know more about shrimp genetics than you do, but here's what I do, because I'm in the same situation. I will occasionally move a shrimp from the cull tank to the good tank, but only males and saddled females. I don't move berried females.

And to be honest I partly answered to see what other answers you will get. I remember seeing richiep post that he occasionally moves a shrimp from a cull tank to a good tank, but he may not be mixing culls from different colors.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Oops, looks like you are gonna need another tank to answer this question. If all babies turn out red from the red culls then yep, the reds will be true to color and will be safe to add to your red tank.

Upvote 0

richiep

Do you have a good photo of the ones you are thinking of moving
I do quite often move from the cull tank back to my main tanks Infact I moved 2 today, there's a lot to be said in JettsPapa approach males and saddled females, there's no hard and fast rules on how things pan out

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Of course when I wanted to get pics of the ones I was wondering about they chose to hide. But I did a couple pics that show one of the ones I'm wondering about.

And I also have to agree with jettspapa also since I'm not up on shrimp color genetics. I do know that I do not want to add a berried female to the red tank since there is no way of telling who daddy is. I seriously want to keep my reds, red.

Anyhow, here are a few pics I was able to get. There are far more shrimp of the same color, they just chose to be camera shy right now. One of the pics is a maybe berried female and won't be moved, she just shows the color I'm asking about since the others of the same color chose to hide right now.

Attachments

• 20210423_163901.jpg
    20210423_163901.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210423_163715.jpg
    20210423_163715.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

richiep

The first pic id say is a female and can be moved if its not berried, if she is the one berried you need to be carefull as she will moult very quickly when those eggs hatch and breed, this can happen within a day or even hours, any you find with red legs or partially red legs will be your prime stock to go back in

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

I went back to some older pics I had showing a group of the shrimp in the tank. In the pic you will be able to see a few more of the pure reds, some darker than others, and there are even more the pic doesn't show, it's been a very prolific tank. In this pic I was actually trying to get a pic of some very interesting browns that had dark tiger like markings, but they didn't show up very well in the pic.

And I think whenever I get a day off from work, I'm going to move a few of the darker ones into the red tank, maybe even a few of the lighter ones since males tend to be lighter in color, or at least they do in my tanks.

I don't think I'll need to do a quarantine time since they were all born here and all my tanks have the exact same water prams and pretty close to the same water temperature. I'll still drip acclimate them for my peace of mind, lol.

Attachments

• 20210422_111850.jpg
    20210422_111850.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210422_111900.jpg
    20210422_111900.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

richiep

I can see a few reds that can be moved,
Remember if you move a berried shrimp its not the end of the world you still have 4/5months before the young mature and colour up giving you ample time to move them out and if need be you can move some back

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Thanks, I'll move some over on my next day off and keep a close eye on the babies as they grow, might be more I can put back in the blue or red tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ginger2078
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jack B Nimble
  • Question
Replies
Views