Red Sea Reefer 525 - Sump Config

TroublewithFlubber

HI All,

I really liked the look of the Red Sea Reefer, so I finally bought the 525 XL, with the aI'm of setting it up as a planted tank, with angelfish and a few other compatible tankmates. For those interested, one of my LFS had a really nice deal on the Red Sea tank - much discounted off of all the online prices, even all the black friday / cyber monday prices. It arrived, and I put it together, and now it is sitting filled with cold tap water (leak test). No problems.

I have a lot of questions on the build, so I'm doing a lot of reading, forum lurking, and youtube watching -- along with discussions with another (closer) LFS, and most importantly getting input from my daughter who is very excited about designing the planted tank with me.

In my 32 gallon tank (Coral Life Biocube), I have the sponge / bio ball setup (no seachem matrix) setup in the overflow chamber, and the water parameters have been excellent. Tested last night, 0 / 0 / 0 for both tap water and tankwater, but this was 2 days after a 25% water change. It's simple, I only have 10 fish or so, and it's been working for us.

So, down to brass fins: the display tank is 108 gallons, and it has a 31 gallon sump. It is designed as a saltwater reef tank, but I liked the look, and as I said the LFS massively discounted it, so went with it. I have no experience with saltwater setups, but I believe that they have more hardware needs, and often want or need large sumps.

I have no hardware yet, but some on order arriving this week:

- Return pump: 1 x Octo VarioS-6 Controllable DC Water Pump - Reef Octopus
- Heaters: 2 x Ebo Jager Heater 300 Watt - Eheim
- Lights: None yet, for a few reasons. One of the was I wanted the new AI Freshwater Prime, which the new version is listed as coming out in early 2020. Another reason was that I don't like the look of the bracket mounts.
- CO2 - trying to avoid, this will be my first planted tank.
- Filter: As it comes with a sump, I wanted to use it. I bought some sponges for a mechanical filter, and 20L of Seachem Matrix (and some bags) to act as a biological filter.
Substrate: Bought some Eco Complete (black) as the substrate, but haven't opened it yet.

Pic is of the sump as installed. ATO is on top right. The schematic from the instruction manual is also included.

I was going to put the sponges in line with the sock filters that come with the system (in the front 24" x 12" x 6" area), or stuff the sock filters with floss. Then, in the next sump chamber (top left in pic, largest section), was going to put bags of the Seachem Matrix as the bio filter. I figured that would be it. As I am by no means experience, I thought there are better uses for such a large sump and a freshwater planted tank. Thanks in advance!

IMG_3303.JPG\

1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 66

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore that looks like quite a project you’re doing, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of members following to see how it turns out

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TroublewithFlubber
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
ounderfla69
Replies
Views