Red Sea Reefer 350 Build Thread

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
So I've just setup my new red sea reefer 350, it's been running for over a year now (by someone else) and it's been moved to my house yesterday morning... It came with a halfblack angelfish who seems to be doing really well, I set everything up and added some extra dry rock and dry sand and have a new skimmer that is breaking in at the moment... I tested the water and surprisingly it's all good, I would have expected some ammonia from rock die off in the move but apparently not... My question is weather I should try moving a fish from my old tank in, the halfbalck seems to be doing great! Or should I wait a bit first and ensure things are stable?

Thanks,
Ethan
IMG-20190512-WA0000.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh boy!! Been waiting for this one.

Hmmm, tough call. I did vote to wait but didn't know you already had a fish in the tank. Still, I'm Stella the Slow and proud of it because that's what's worked for me. I do think I'd wait at least a few days, keeping an eye on test results though admittedly, my mind also moves towards getting others in there while the current inhabitant is still adjusting to the move and before that tank becomes his alone... again. You know these things E, so really, like most things, it becomes a personal decision based on the pros and cons of the situation. Good luck and please keep us posted! 'Grats my friend!!!

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh boy!! Been waiting for this one.

Hmmm, tough call. I did vote to wait but didn't know you already had a fish in the tank. Still, I'm Stella the Slow and proud of it because that's what's worked for me. I do think I'd wait at least a few days, keeping an eye on test results though admittedly, my mind also moves towards getting others in there while the current inhabitant is still adjusting to the move and before that tank becomes his alone... again. You know these things E, so really, like most things, it becomes a personal decision based on the pros and cons of the situation. Good luck and please keep us posted! 'Grats my friend!!!
, first line sums up me in the moving van yesterday .

Yea, the guy couldn't sell the halfblack (Percy) so gave it to me... I didn't have anyware stable to put him so I assumed that the tank is better than a bag, he's been on his own for a good 6 months now with no issues (I've seen him on and off) so i don't think the stress of QT is necessary to him.

I've put some frags in to see how they do, it's only things like gsp that it isn't catastrophic if it doesn't make it... And probably would have bleached anyway down the back of the rocks.

Do you think I should move the clowns?

Ethan

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tough call. Kinda hard to know how strong the cycle is after the move, especially without knowing the particulars of the move, i.e. if rocks and any other filter media were kept submerged... though I imagine there's a question there given that you thought you'd have some die off from moving everything.

Soooo... I might risk moving hardy clownfish over given two factors are in place.

1. The tank has been running for 24 hours or so without an ammonia spike.

2. You have the time and energy to observe and manage things, should things become tricky. Meaning, you'll test a lot over the next week or so AND you and the fish can withstand the stress of a possible move back to their original tank.

Thing is, that angel (having been alone for so long) may think of that entire tank as his BUT right now, everything's changed and new. At first thought, I wouldn't want to move my established fish right away but factors regarding territories would make me consider it as possibly the best option for the long term.

Sorry, at least for me, there are rarely clear cut black and white lines we can draw in this hobby. Instead, we often are working in shades of grey.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tough call. Kinda hard to know how strong the cycle is after the move, especially without knowing the particulars of the move, i.e. if rocks and any other filter media were kept submerged... though I imagine there's a question there given that you thought you'd have some die off from moving everything.

Soooo... I might risk moving hardy clownfish over given two factors are in place.

1. The tank has been running for 24 hours or so without an ammonia spike.

2. You have the time and energy to observe and manage things, should things become tricky. Meaning, you'll test a lot over the next week or so AND you and the fish can withstand the stress of a possible move back to their original tank.

Thing is, that angel (having been alone for so long) may think of that entire tank as his BUT right now, everything's changed and new. At first thought, I wouldn't want to move my established fish right away but factors regarding territories would make me consider it as possibly the best option for the long term.

Sorry, at least for me, there are rarely clear cut black and white lines we can draw in this hobby. Instead, we often are working in shades of grey.
Hi,
I think I may do it... Mainly as I've got a pre cycled tank now that's ready for them in an emergency.

I know exactly how the rock was moved as I did it myself , it was in bags but the guy lives 2 minutes away so it was only out of water in a damp bag for realistically 5 mins - then in the tank.

I don't have much time, my GCSES start on Monday, but I can test the basics like Ammonia in between study breaks.

I'll catch them and leave them to drip acclimate for the rest of the afternoon.

Should I move the nem? Or will they be ok?

Thanks,
Ethan

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The anemone should have no impact on the clown's happiness or wellbeing. Plus, with the stability of the tank being a small concern, for now, I would absolutely not move the nem.

A long drip is a good thing... as long as temp is easily managed in such a situation. Personally, I drip into the fish bag, which sits in a two-gallon bucket with enough water to keep the full part of the bag submerged to help with temp. I have nano heaters! Still, this water volume is too small to properly control the temperature. The heater overheats, but without it, it gets too cold! It's an aggravation and for this reason, I usually only drip for 60-90 minutes... though, I'd probably suffer it longer for more delicate species.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The anemone should have no impact on the clown's happiness or wellbeing. Plus, with the stability of the tank being a small concern, for now, I would absolutely not move the nem.

A long drip is a good thing... as long as temp is easily managed in such a situation. Personally, I drip into the fish bag, which sits in a two-gallon bucket with enough water to keep the full part of the bag submerged to help with temp. I have nano heaters! Still, this water volume is too small to properly control the temperature. The heater overheats, but without it, it gets too cold! It's an aggravation and for this reason, I usually only drip for 60-90 minutes... though, I'd probably suffer it longer for more delicate species.
They've been dripping for an hour and are in an aclimation box! I decided it would be best so they get used to the light and flow before battling with Percy for territory... He used to live with clowns so hopefully , he won't bother much... I'll. Leave them in the box for an hour or so as it is very white in the tank, I've also set the lights to be on 50% power (coral acclimating mode) until the 1st of July when the fish should all be good to go... Loving this hydra 52.

As I'm writing this Percy is going up to the box and checking them out... Hope it goes well

The only time I did an extended drip was for my starfish... Who seems to be doing great! But I had a small heater in the box then as well

All the coral I added seems to be doing nicely, the toadstool is opening up (didn't really in my old tank... Not sure why) and the zoas are too... I'll send some pics.

Ethan
1557673493560.jpg
1557673583000.jpg
1557673621753.jpg
1557673636968.jpg
1557673656745.jpg

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom