Red Sea Reef kits

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ClearEyes, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Apologies if this has been brought up before...I'm a curious FW newbie just starting to dip his toe into the world of SW research...

I was at the LFS today and saw this big display of some Red Sea plug & play kit they're selling for thousands of dollars. Is there some general consensus/opinions amongst you SW veterans about these kits?

2. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

They are pretty nice but also kinda pricey in my opinion. I'd rather pick out my individual components like lights, protein skimmer, etc. But for some the plug and play type aquariums like the Red Sea Max aquariums are right up their alley.

3. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Nothing wrong with the kits, like said above they can be a bit expensive for what they are though. But what commercial kit isn't? You could potentially do a build very close for less if you pieced out components. I think Red Sea makes two types, one sumped and one all in one type right (minus their pro line)? Either way, small tank AIO is fine, large tank I'd want a sump. The problem I have is expansion is limited due to them using Red Sea products and cramping them into the small space, that's the limitation of going with a kit it's a bit harder to adapt should you want to upgrade some parts.

Nothing wrong with them, but personally I just prefer to get the parts myself because I'll want to add specific lighting, or specific powerheads/return pumps, skimmer, etc instead of going with whatever brand and model comes in a kit.

4. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

That was probably my biggest concern. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice