Red Sea nano HOB

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I have this little tiny HOB from 6,000 years ago. This 10 gallon tank’s primary filtration is a sponge filter, but I didn’t know if adding this on the back of the tank may help filter out some of the big particles of stuff without putting on a full size HOB. I have one, but didn’t really want to put it on also.

Or is this basically like trying to wash dishes in the mud?

Attachments

Ambie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm doing the same thing with my 10 gallon Betta tank, I've definitely noticed the water being a lot more crystal clear and there's nothing wrong with having a backup for emergency.

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s just so small. Back when I was 14 and didn’t know any better in the hobby I bought a 1/2 Gallon tank with that HOB on it. I thought since there’s not much room in it for actual media, and even if there were it wouldn’t do much for a 10 g, I may just pack it with polyfill and see what happens.

Ambie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KatLovesCoffee said:
It’s just so small. Back when I was 14 and didn’t know any better in the hobby I bought a 1/2 Gallon tank with that HOB on it. I thought since there’s not much room in it for actual media, and even if there were it wouldn’t do much for a 10 g, I may just pack it with polyfill and see what happens.
Well it would depend on your bio load, but a Betta in 10 gallon wouldn't have much of one plus your using a sponge filter. I keep mine in case my sponge filter/pump breaks or i need cycled material to jump start a new tank. But really it's just for extra bacteria. I use a aquaclear sponge and Ceramic rings they're great for tiny HOB.

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now that is a cute little filter!

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s very cute. Lol.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even with a very small filter like that I'd try to use layers of filter media -- coarse sponge, medium sponge, then filter floss. If you don't do that the floss will clog very quickly.

Have you considered trying a different sponge filter or modifying the one you have to move more water?

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is actually the first time I’ve ever used a sponge filter, So if there’s a way to modify it I’m not quite sure how yet.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your sponge filter is almost certainly driven by air. The principle here is that air bubbles rising in a constrained column of water will create a current. Generally speaking, the more of them there are, the more even they are distributed through the lift tube, and the farther they rise, the more water they'll pull with them. The more water moving through the filter (within limits), the better the filtration. This provides things to focus on for modifications to improve the performance.

Lengthening the lift tube will help, but you're likely limited here by the size of your tank. You don't want the lift tube to stick out of the water, so the water line is the limit. Better at least an inch or two below.

Depending on how the air is distributed with the sponge filter you have, it might benefit from using an air stone, or a better air stone. The only way to tell on this is to see it in action.

If you're not getting a lot of bubbles, perhaps a larger air pump would help.

If you're handy with tools and like DIY, you might look into replacing the stock lift tube with a Czech air lift (Google it). Properly made, these do an excellent job of evenly distributing lots of small bubbles into the lift tube without impeding the flow of water with an air stone. You can buy one of these but with shipping it's likely to cost way more than your whole sponge filter did.

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for the excellent information.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom