Red Scale Appear On Betta

Ipsum00

Hello all! Sorry this is my first post, hopefully I'm in the right section. I got my first tank and betta just over a month ago. About a week or so after getting him, I noticed these red scales developing on the sides of his body (first pic). You can see the contrast to the second picture which was taken very shortly after I got him. Water temp is 74 degrees F, parameters are 7.4 ph, .25ppm ammonia, and 0 rpm for both nitrites and nitrates. He has had these red scales for a few weeks and it seems as though more are developing. Any help determining what this is and how to treat would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

20190509_232655.jpg
20190408_182713.jpg

aquafrogg

Hi! It looks like he is just a marble betta. Changing colors is natural and not a negative side affect of anything!

Repolie

Yes he is just a betta with the marble gene. This gene allows them to change colours as they age over time. He looks like a perfectly normal and healthy male.

A201

Your Betta looks healthy. White or very light colored fish often develope pigment specks or blotches. They are genetic. Certain varieties of Bettas actually completely change colors as they age. Need to get the ammonia down a bit. Might need to up the water changes.

Ipsum00

Hi! It looks like he is just a marble betta. Changing colors is natural and not a negative side affect of anything!

Whew! I was worried. No wonder I couldn't find any info about a mysterious red scale illness haha Thanks Bubbles_and_Fins!

Ipsum00

Thanks for the super quick responses every one

I will work on the water changes too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
Replies
Views