Question Red Root Floaters - Never thought I'd ask this

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Other than trading them away/selling them what can I do with Red Root Floaters that I'm not keeping?
The floaters have really taken off in my tank and I'm getting to the point where I am going to need to remove some for the sake of my other plants.
My local climate is pretty different from where the floaters are from but if I were to dispose of them I'd want to have a means of ensuring they're definitely dead. I don't want to risk any chance of introducing a new invasive species to the nearby river.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is an interesting question I have never considered. When I trI'm plants, I just throw the cuttings in the trash. Could those end up contributing to an invasive species someplace? Seems unlikely if they ended up in a land fill some place.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe a FB group would be an outlet. There are a lot of groups and someone may be close enough by to take some off your hands. Or trash them in a sealed container and I’m sure they’ll be fine

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Man I wish I had this problem - red root floaters hate me lol
For disposing of them, you could always seal them in a baggie before putting them in the garbage, if you’re worried. Or just put them in the garbage lol
Or, again if you’re worried, you could always just chuck them in bleach for an hour. I’m not sure if that would kill them, but it probably would

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just put any unwanted plants in your green bin/compost. They will decompose, and they you can use that in your garden (or if you have green bin collection with your garbage, then it'll be picked up). :)

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try the Facebook suggestion to sell or whatever.

To kill them, either bleach OR cleaning ammonia (dont mix those chemicals please).
Or just toss them in a pot of boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes.
The boiling method will kill then for sure, the chemicals would need longer (maybe an hour) and may or may not kill them. (I've never thrown plants in bleach, so I have no idea what the results would be)

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sanderguy777 said:
To kill them, either bleach OR cleaning ammonia (dont mix those chemicals please).
Or just toss them in a pot of boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes.
The boiling method will kill then for sure, the chemicals would need longer (maybe an hour) and may or may not kill them. (I've never thrown plants in bleach, so I have no idea what the results would be)
Whoa, they are just plants, not a zombie apocalypse! :D
You could also just remove them from the tank, put them on a paper towel... they'll dry out and die. Then put them in your garden to finish decomposing (or in a potted plant if you don't have a garden).

I do agree with the folks that suggested selling them locally... they are expensive, and hard to come by, at least where I live. Cash in!!! :)

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Algonquin said:
Whoa, they are just plants, not a zombie apocalypse! :D
You could also just remove them from the tank, put them on a paper towel... they'll dry out and die. Then put them in your garden to finish decomposing (or in a potted plant if you don't have a garden).

I do agree with the folks that suggested selling them locally... they are expensive, and hard to come by, at least where I live. Cash in!!! :)
Get a car battery and some jumper cables. Take the negative cable and hook it up to one side of the evil little floater and take the positive cable and attach it to the other side. Then, when you've completed that with every single floater; throw them all in a cremation furnace. That'll teach em!

Seriously though, just sell them, give them to friends, or throw them in your trash. They will die before they get anywhere where they could do harm.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I was in this quandary last fall. I had way more salvinia than I knew what to do with. I had already been throwing out hand fulls of it but it winter was coming and I hated to just let it all die off. I offered it up here for just the price of shipping and mailed out most of it.

Right now I am starting to get over run again with it, frogbit and water lettuce. I am sure I will soon have to start seriously thinning all of them out. I really like the compost idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that last year. Once these floaters get comfortable it is difficult to find enough folks wanting some to keep ahead of it.

eirynne

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll take some red root floaters and frogbit please (and I'll pay shipping)!!! :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
The main problem I have found with shipping or buying floating plants is they don't handle the shipping process very well and often don't make it. My first dwarf water lettuce and red root floaters died off. There was a tiny salvinia plant attached to one or the other order and it survived.

Most of the frogbit I received died off but fortunately a tiny bit of it survived and is now growing and reproducing. The big beautiful water lettuce I received also died off but its babies seem to be making a come back.

All of this just to let everyone know what can happen when buying or selling floating plants. Once established they can over whelm you with their rapid growth but they are often difficult to get established. If you really want them don't give up after the first try. :)

OP
Ebreus

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redtetra said:
Ill pay shipping. Where is it being shipped from?
eirynne said:
I'll take some red root floaters and frogbit please (and I'll pay shipping)!!! :)
They'd be being shipped from central Pennsylvania. I don't have any Frogbit to sell.
I do prefer the idea of others getting to enjoy these beautiful floaters to the excess just being killed.
I'll have to get some advice, likely another thread, on how best to ship them.

Side note: My tank has snails and various species of algae that I wouldn't be able to guarantee won't come with the floaters.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ebreus said:
They'd be being shipped from central Pennsylvania. I don't have any Frogbit to sell.
I do prefer the idea of others getting to enjoy these beautiful floaters to the excess just being killed.
I'll have to get some advice, likely another thread, on how best to ship them.

Side note: My tank has snails and various species of algae that I wouldn't be able to guarantee won't come with the floaters.
I’d take some too if you’re going to be figuring out shipping anyways :p (Only if you have enough lol)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been on vacation this week I'm sure I'm going to come home to crazy Vals choaking off the light to my other plants..... :rolleyes:

OP
Ebreus

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
I’d take some too if you’re going to be figuring out shipping anyways :p (Only if you have enough lol)
I think they grew to about eight to ten times the coverage of the initial patch I bought in roughly a months time so even if I decide to keep the remainder after shipping to those two I'd have more to send fairly quickly after that.

New Threads