Red Root Floater or Duckweed?

Aquaphobia

Someone gave me a bag of floating plants (remarkably difficult to find floating plants in stores here) that he thought were baby Red Root Floaters. He said his critters kept eating the mature plants so all he had left were the plantlets, although he admitted they could be duckweed. More than 99% sure they're duckweed. Does Phyllanthus fluitans look like duckweed at any point in its lifecycle or should I just scoop them out of the bag and throw them in the fireplace and be done with it?

I did get lucky at a downtown not-so-LPS and found one (ONE!) frogbit plantlet floating in a tank. They gave that to me. I'm sure I'll have plenty before too long.

Spencer1044

Do you have pictures they would help greatly

Aquaphobia

I don't, sorry. I currently have no way to upload them. But honestly, they look identical to duckweed: 2 little round leaflets, little white roots. Same size, same colour, same form. I've had a long history with duckweed and one protracted battle with it in one of my tanks. This is the stuff. I just need to know if Red Root Floater looks exactly like it at some point in its cycle that would give me a reason to grow this out for a while just to be sure.

Spencer1044

I would put it in a cup by a window with some tank water and see what it grows to be.

Dolfan

I doubt what you have is red root floater. It may be possible they look a bit similar when tiny, but there is no way you would have any decent amount of tiny plants all at the same beginning life stages that would look like duckweed. You may have a few tiny plants that size, but if they are all that size, odds are it is because that is the size they grow to.

Aquaphobia

Good point. Maybe I'll just grow them out in hope there's one teeny little desirable plantlet in there that I'm not seeing

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Want To Sell Red root floaters
Replies
Views
ElAvayarde80
Want To Buy Floating plants