Red Rainbowfish

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its took me ages to take a good picture of my Reds but I think this one is pretty good ,so I had to show him off ,there about 3" at the moment and will grow to about 6" .

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Boff, you're making me want Rainbowfish so bad right now! Your fish is simply GORGEOUS! Great picture

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks every body ,reds are stunning fish and I can't wait until they are fully grown .They are an amazing community fish, if you have the room for them ,peaceful,playful and beautiful cheers boff.

hopesmom

Reaction score
wow!!! I am amazed at the color! He is fantastic!! I miss my Rainbow. Where did you find him?
denise

dan da man3042

Reaction score
WOW! that is a great pic. I have two boesmanI rainbows and they just laid some eggs. do u hav som pics of boesmanI eggs or other rainbow eggs.
dan

RoboDude

Reaction score
Man . . . that's nice! I like the way Rainbowfish's noses stick out

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Denise ime sorry to hear about your rainbow ,maybe you should get some Red rainbows like mine,ive got 3 males but this one is brighter than the others ,I got them from my LFS which is relay lucky because I live on a small island and the choice of fish is very limited .

HI Dan I have replayed to your post in breeding good luck again .I bet you are loving the cricket at the moment . :'(

HI RoboDude they do have funny stick out noses, but when you put in live food you soon see why they are shaped like that ,they are amazing predators.

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI jay,you can get some Reds from www. aquabid.com .But they will grow to 6 inches and they need to have at least a 4 foot tank, because you will have to have at least 4 to make them happy .Ive got 3 Reds and 4 BoesmanI so they all mix together nice where they both come from the same area.My tank is 46 UK gallon,and I want a 6foot-2feet-2feet which is about 175 UK gallons for the rainbows my 3 clown loaches and sailfin pleco, and more rainbows .So think big tank its all ways best if you can .Cheers boff

hopesmom

Reaction score
hI boff! I was wondering how you knew you got 3 males? just by the color intensity? did you mean to get all males? thanks,
denise

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I got them I dint know what sex they were ,I thought I would wait to see which ones went red (males) or if they went olive green (females) .But they were all males, I would have to get 6 females and I have not got the room for them at the moment .Mine don't fight so I think its better to have all males rather that the wrong mix of males and remales but I might be wrong .

hopesmom

Reaction score
what color were they when you got them? so, can you specify what sex when you order online, or do you just get what you get? thanks!
denise

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I got mine they were silverish in colour and about 1.5" long ,but I was not long before they starting showing there red colour.I don't know about choosing the sex of them on line ,have you seen some them if so what size do they say they are .You might be able to give them an email and ask them for the sex you want. Can your LFS get any for you,it would save you the postage which is more expencive than the fish .boff.

kerryve

Reaction score
HI Boff,

they really are very pretty fish, and you say they get to 6''? that is big, id like to get some, ill have to source them in the country, haven't seen any where ive been. what sort of water conditions do they like and what are suitable tank mates? they not going to eat anything and everything are they? ive got oscars they are real pigs!

thanks!
Kerry

OP
boff

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI kerryve ,they can grow to 6" but where they have a small throat you can get away with most fish as tank mates because they are not aggressive ,I would not trust them with neon tetras or fish of that size because they love live food .They like soft water but will tolerate hard water my PH is 7.2 and they seem to like it , if you can have the temp up to 85F the red colour is brighter.I would say get at least 4 or get some other rainbows of similar size to shoal with.Good luck with finding some .boff

kerryve

Reaction score
Got that Thanks Boff, I think ill try get 4 then along with a pleco - good at maintenance... Try in a 125g and see what happens, all if I can find them!

Thanks!

New Threads