Red Plants Not Staying Red

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by danhutchins, Nov 11, 2018.

1. danhutchins

danhutchinsValued MemberMember

So, I have been keeping fish in a planted tank for about 5 years now and decided to get some red plants to break up all the green in the tank. My issue is that the red plants just turn green. I dose iron and have high light but honestly I'm unsure how much iron I should dose. I'm using Dustins Fishtank iron. I also use Dustins Fishtank all in one liquid fertilizer. Lights are on for 6 hours a day because any longer and I get crazy algae in just a couple days. Co2 comes on when lights come on and goes out when lights go out. All other plants are doing great just cant figure out the red ones.

Oh and for some reason the app is not working for me. I cant see threads or posts when I sign in any ideas would help

Figured out the app issue. Still waiting for help with the plants.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Annie59Valued MemberMember

Sounds to me you need higher lighting is all. What kind of lighting do you have?

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Agree, what is the light, tank size, and tank height? Red is mostly caused by high light

4. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I find it odd that you have co2 and can only run 6 hours of light. Unless your lights are 80 or above in the par department, Im wondering if your co2 isnt a high enough concentration.

Red plants are indeed more about lighting than excessive iron.

What plants are in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

I'm getting around 90 PAR with the lights I have. I doubt its lighting. I have a finnex planted plus 24/7 and a beamswork full spectrum.

Yup around 90 PAR for lighting

Cant remember the names of the red plants. I do have a pic posted you could look at.

I'm also running co2 at close to 7 bubbles a second. Cant really tell when you get that high. Guess I could record it in slow motion to count them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
  6. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Im going to guess you are not using enough co2. Are you using ph drop to determine co2? Drop checker?

As long as you have enough ferts, there isnt a good reason for you not to be able to run that lighting longer, unless you are lean on co2.

As for the loss of red, what plants are you using? Some really dont like to be red when they are under water so it takes everything being dialed in perfectly to get them enough light for long enough to get that red color.

Have you tested tds, gh, kh, and phosphate recently? I have strong low/ weak medium lighting at substrate, no co2, and my small red plants do fine. My scarlet temple however is just as green as my normal temple plants, despite growing to the waters surface.

7. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Honestly I can't remember what the names of the red plants are. I can bump up the co2 a bit and see if that helps. But yeah I'm getting close to 90 PAR at substrate with my lighting. I do have a picture posted if you want to look at that to determine what the plants are. I only have 4 different species of red plants. I know it's hard to tell what ones are red but I think the first pic shows that they were red at one time. Is there any plants you would recommend that stay red without much co2 and ferts.

Just realized there are no pics. 20181111_172129.jpg

Older one. 20181111_072846.jpg

Sorry having issues with the app posting things twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018 at 3:26 AM
  8. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Im not sure what that tall stem plant is. The left plant looks like a flame sword. I have no idea, nor can I find what appears to be the red anubias plant.

On the other hand, lets do some finding out about your co2 since Im pretty confidant that needs to be fixed regardless, to allow higher lighting, to allow red growth.

Take a gallon or so of your tank water out and leave it in a bucket overnight with an airstone going in it. Test the kh and gh in your tank.

The next day, take a ph reading of what is in the bucket. This is your ph. The gh and kh of the tank water will tell us roughly what you have going on in your water. As long as your bucket ph is above a certain level, we can easily determine how much of a ph we need.

We will then test your ph inside your tank a few hours after the co2 is turned on. We are looking for a ph drop of at least 1.0 Im pretty sure we wont see it that low initially. Slightly increase co2 every day until you get down to 1.0 to 1.2 of a drop. 1.2 should be about 30ppm which is perfectly safe for the fish.

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I run the same light you do (Finnex plant 24/7 CC. Have three with one more on the way) my red plants are doing very well. I do not use Co2. The only thing I can suggest is switch to the Seachem line. I use Flourish, Iron, Excel, Potassium and remineralize my RO/DI water with Equilibrium.

I can post photos tonight after I get home if you like.

Oh, I also do not use the auto settings. Everything is set to max for 6-7 hours a day.

10. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Lol. Just realized youve been cheating this whole time! That ro/di water is a huge key to your success.

11. Thunder_o_b

:)

12. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Mine are also set to max for 6 hours a day. I think I'm going to bump up the co2 as recommended and see if that helps within a month or two.

13. Guanchy

GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

i have tall plants in my tank that only the top turn red the bottom stays green and thats because they need high lighting and since the top is the only place where it gets the most light it turns red. So im assuming this is the issue with your plants. Maybe hight lighting. Are they being covered

14. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Can you tell us if you're using a drop checker? Otherwise you have no way of knowing how much CO2 is in the tank.
    Did you test PAR yourself? 90 seems really high because the finnex 24/7 is not a super powerful light.
    I can't seem to find Dustin's all in one on his website, do you have a link?

15. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

Nope lighting is not the issue. I have already stated lighting in 3 other posts, but thanks.

The Dustins stuff is his plant booster. I do not have a drop checker as of now but will order one when I get paid this week.

Oh, and the finnex is only one of the lights I'm using and they put out 60 PAR at max setting. The other light is a beamswork full spectrum. That after much research puts out around 28 PAR.

I also moved all my plants around and am wondering if it was just because the reds were all mixed in with the greens? Because now they look more red.

This is how it looks now. Excuse the cloudy water I just got done. 20181112_180445.jpg

Guess it doesn't show as much as in person.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018 at 3:27 AM
  16. Annie59Valued MemberMember

I was just doing a bit of looking around on internet and this popped up about red plants. Saying red plants need more iron. I don't really know but thought I would pass this along to you.
    Oh nice tank by the way!

17. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

I know they need more but the question is how much to dose? Iron is dangerous for fish and shrimp in high amounts and also causes algae outbreaks if dosing to much. I just don't want to kill my livestock. I haven't been able to find anywhere that gives even a starting point for dosing iron.

Thanks for looking tho. And thanks about the tank. I mess around with it all the time so don't be surprised if I post another pic in a week because I changed it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018 at 3:27 AM
  18. Thunder_o_b

I have been using Seachem Iron twice a week for a very long time. No issues with any of my live stock. Shrimp, snails, and fish.

19. Annie59Valued MemberMember

No problem, I enjoy reading about aquariums so when I saw that I just thought I would let you know. I'll research more lol. I find this interesting just in case I try for red plants too!

20. OP
    OP
    danhutchins

I will also keep searching. I to find it interesting. Everything in my tank I have about 15000 hours of research time on. I just dont remember names of things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice