Red plants for modest PAR levels?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
HI everyone! I am setting up a 5 gallon/19 liter CO2 tank and - after doing some research - want to keep my substrate PAR at about 30-50 umols to keep some semblance of stability in the tank. My question is, are there any plants that will readily turn red under such conditions, assuming everything else is being done properly? Thanks :)

kansas

Reaction score
LUDWIGIA NATANS works pretty well for me. I'm told I have medium lights, manufacturer doesn't provide PAR info. No CO2.

kansas said:
LUDWIGIA NATANS works pretty well for me. I'm told I have medium lights, manufacturer doesn't provide PAR info. No CO2.
I'm told ferts that have iron in them help bring out the red.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ludwigia minI super red should work. As recommended, Iron will also greatly help red plants color up, just be careful not to overdo it

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI All,

Time to debunk an often repeated inaccurate statement.......iron concentation has no impact on red coloration in plants......period.

The ability of a plant to display red coloration is dependent upon the species and the pigments it contains. The intensity of red coloration is the response of the plant to light intensity and/or duration. An analogy would be sunshine and sunburn. Indoors or in low light my color is 'normal' however if I spend time in bright sunshine I turn 'pink' or 'red' depending upon the intensity of the sun and duration I spend in it. The pigments in plants that cause red coloration are anthocyanins.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
SeattleRoy said:
HI All,

Time to debunk an often repeated inaccurate statement.......iron concentation has no impact on red coloration in plants......period.

The ability of a plant to display red coloration is dependent upon the species and the pigments it contains. The intensity of red coloration is the response of the plant to light intensity and/or duration. An analogy would be sunshine and sunburn. Indoors or in low light my color is 'normal' however if I spend time in bright sunshine I turn 'pink' or 'red' depending upon the intensity of the sun and duration I spend in it. The pigments in plants that cause red coloration are anthocyanins.
I thought the red colors were antioxidants produced in response to large amounts of oxygen being produced by photosynthesis? Anyhow, agreed...iron doesn't make plants any more red unless it was grossly lacking to begin with.

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SeattleRoy said:
HI All,

This.

The myth needs to die.

The only way more iron will help your plants be more red is if they are deficient in it. In which case, they are not going to be as green as they could be either.

If I'm starving, a sandwich will help me. Maybe even two sandwiches will help. At a certain point, my body has enough calories and more sandwiches does me absolutely no good. More could even have negative consequences.

Just realized that I never helped with suggestions on species for you. I got caught up in the wanting to debunk the iron myth bandwagon...

In a 5 gallon my suggestions are more limited as a lot of the plants that are efficient in producing red in lower light levels get rather large.
Many of the swords will get red in lower light levels but would legitimately outgrow your tank.
Barclaya longifolia also gets huge.
Ludwigia's and AR stay small and may work but may want more light to bring out the reds.
I think your best bet is the reddish cryptocorynes...
Crypt spiralis "red"
Crypt albida "red"
Crypt pink panther
Crypt flamingo
Some of the above still like higher light than other crypts but may work nicely.
Another option would be looking for some of the Bucephalandras that have some reddish tones.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
WetRootsNH said:
Just realized that I never helped with suggestions on species for you. I got caught up in the wanting to debunk the iron myth bandwagon...

In a 5 gallon my suggestions are more limited as a lot of the plants that are efficient in producing red in lower light levels get rather large.
Many of the swords will get red in lower light levels but would legitimately outgrow your tank.
Barclaya longifolia also gets huge.
Ludwigia's and AR stay small and may work but may want more light to bring out the reds.
I think your best bet is the reddish cryptocorynes...
Crypt spiralis "red"
Crypt albida "red"
Crypt pink panther
Crypt flamingo
Some of the above still like higher light than other crypts but may work nicely.
Another option would be looking for some of the Bucephalandras that have some reddish tones.
Thanks for the suggestions :) Assuming the red species are stem plants, that's nothing some trimming will not fix.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
To second some of the things said by @86 ssinit and WetRootsNH

Crypts are the safest bet, but tiger lotus also often stays red with fairly meh lighting.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crypt flamingo
AR mini
Ludwigia 'super red mini'
Crypt lutea 'hobbit' (if under slightly stronger light)
Hygrophila araguaia
Red varieties of Buce
Cabomba furcata

I also turn red in the sun, I do not turn red from Iron supplements.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Reaction score
Ludwigia Repins Red!! :)
I use root tabs, no co2 and they’re so good so far.
They’re fairly new to my tank, but I was told they’re medium level plants.

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Joshaeus said:
Thanks for the suggestions :) Assuming the red species are stem plants, that's nothing some trimming will not fix.
The first two and the crypts I mentioned are not stem plants. Crypts can easily be trimmed to keep them small but best of luck trying to do that with a sword! I used to cut the entire head off (every single leaf) of my red melon sword periodically to try and keep it in check but it just kept coming back with more and more of a vengeance. Got rid of it when I got sick of it taking up half of my 75g.

Darn, I completely forgot about H. araguaia.
I didn't know hobbit would turn. I will have to steal some of my girlfriends from her nano and see if I can get it to show some reds.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WetRootsNH said:
I will have to steal some of my girlfriends from her nano and see if I can get it to show some reds.
Not so much red, more purple / magenta.

Forgot to add Crypt undulates ‘red’ to the list as well

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chanyi said:
Not so much red, more purple / magenta.

Forgot to add Crypt undulates ‘red’ to the list as well
Well there goes that. Who would want purple/ magenta? Blech.

It's funny, I used to have a hard time understanding why people loved crypts so much. They are by far my favorite nowadays.

On side note, if anyone ever see's aponogeton crispus 'red' for sale in the U.S. please grab it. I would pay top dollar for it.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Reaction score
WetRootsNH said:

It's funny, I used to have a hard time understanding why people loved crypts so much. They are by far my favorite nowadays.

On side note, if anyone ever see's aponogeton crispus 'red' for sale in the U.S. please grab it. I would pay top dollar for it.
Crypts are awesome. They have some gorgeous hybrids too! I have a green one with white spots all over it in my Axo tank. ❤

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
WetRootsNH said:

Is that aponogeton? o.o wow, talk about camouflage. Without the roots in sight like that I would've sworn it was a crypt.

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Crypts are awesome. They have some gorgeous hybrids too! I have a green one with white spots all over it in my Axo tank. ️
Oh, I'd love to know what species it is if you know or have a picture.

My two favorites that I currently have are in the photos
They are Crypt spiralis 'red'
And
Crypt nuriI 'Rosen maiden'

I'd love to get some Crypt cordata 'rosanaverg' one day, but I don't think its available anymore.

20190404_151224.jpg
20180904_155013.jpg

PascalKrypt said:
Is that aponogeton? o.o wow, talk about camouflage. Without the roots in sight like that I would've sworn it was a crypt.
Sure is! There is one site in the U.S. that I guess used to carry it but it has been "out of stock" for years.
I think tropica sells it overseas but none of their distributors here seem to have it or have it available to order through them.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Reaction score
WetRootsNH said:
Oh, I'd love to know what species it is if you know or have a picture.

My two favorites that I currently have are in the photos
They are Crypt spiralis 'red'
And
Crypt nuriI 'Rosen maiden'

I'd love to get some Crypt cordata 'rosanaverg' one day, but I don't think its available anymore.

20190404_151224.jpg
20180904_155013.jpg
I honestly can’t remember the name! But I’m sure the guy at the pet store would know, he’s mad about plants. Lol. I’ll ask him when I’m there this week andlet you know! I’ll take a quick picture :)
Ok I was wrong, the spots are purple. I had a purple colored one with white spots that unfortunately didn’t make it in my 60g.
whoch is weird, because it’s planted and heated. This guy is in a water bottle with soil and sand, in a cold water tank because Otto the Axo needs cold water, and it’s doing beautifully

WetRootsNH said:
Sure is! There is one site in the U.S. that I guess used to carry it but it has been "out of stock" for years.
I think tropica sells it overseas but none of their distributors here seem to have it or have it available to order through them.
Han Aquatics claims to have it for 40$.
I’ve never purchased from there

Attachments

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HolyKamikaziBetta said:
I honestly can’t remember the name! But I’m sure the guy at the pet store would know, he’s mad about plants. Lol. I’ll ask him when I’m there this week andlet you know! I’ll take a quick picture :)
Ok I was wrong, the spots are purple. I had a purple colored one with white spots that unfortunately didn’t make it in my 60g.
whoch is weird, because it’s planted and heated. This guy is in a water bottle with soil and sand, in a cold water tank because Otto the Axo needs cold water, and it’s doing beautifully
Not positive as I'm no sword expert but I think that's an ozelot sword.
Regardless, very pretty plant!

HolyKamikaziBetta

Reaction score
WetRootsNH said:
Not positive as I'm no sword expert but I think that's an ozelot sword.
Regardless, very pretty plant!
Maybe? Guy at fish store said it was some type of hybrid crypt.
could be wrong! I’m new to the plant thing aside from your common moss, Java fern, and Anubias.
since you seem to know plants, you mind identifying one for me? I’ve had it forever... no idea what it is

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom