Red Patch On Cory

Rohit C
Just today, I noticed a bloody patch on one of my albino Cory’s head. Right on top,almost like a blood clot. It doesn’t look superficial.
He seems to be doing normal .
Tank parameters are just alright.
Also last week I’d to travel and when I’d gotten back, my friend feeding the fish told me the light was fused . So they had no light for almost a week.
But the blood wasn’t there when I’d gotten back, only a few tots on the plants.
I just did a 40% water change today after a while.
It’s a 10G , Planted , stable cycle
Tank mates:
4 guppies
5 Glowlight Rasboraa
2 Neon tetras
2 albino cories

Image1519074273.550919.jpg

EbiAqua
Maybe it's just the picture but it looks like it has popeye as well.

Can you give us more information? Temperature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? How much food was your friend putting in the tank?

You also have stocking issues we can discuss if you'd like.

BHK3
Can you post a pic of the whole tank? What exactly does "just alright" mean for the parameters? Can you list specific numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? This is probably the #1 most important info at the moment.

TexasDomer
Are his barbels missing as well? I would guess a severe bacterial infection that has spread.

Rohit C
Pretty sure not Popeyed, I checked .
Temperature -26 C
Nitrate-35 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 7.6
No he did alright with the food . Definitely no overfeeding

About the stocking I get that a lot . But I do regular water changes, almost weekly. Upto 25% .

Are his barbels missing as well? I would guess a severe bacterial infection that has spread.

Nope his barbels are there. That’s what I thought too. But the red coloring doesn’t look superficial. It’s as if he’s got like internal bleeding

Can you post a pic of the whole tank? What exactly does "just alright" mean for the parameters? Can you list specific numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? This is probably the #1 most important info at the moment.

Temperature -26 C
Nitrate-35 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 7.6
. But I do regular water changes, almost weekly. Upto 25% .

Temperature -26 C
Nitrate-35 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 7.6

About the stocking I get that a lot . But I do regular water changes, almost weekly. Upto 25% .

Maybe it's just the picture but it looks like it has popeye as well.

Can you give us more information? Temperature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? How much food was your friend putting in the tank?

You also have stocking issues we can discuss if you'd like.

EbiAqua
Nitrates could be lower but they're not terrible. Try to aI'm for 20ppm or less.

The red patch looks almost like a bad bacterial infection or hemorrhaging.

The stocking issues are more about the health and benefits for your fish than parameters being fine. Most of your fish require more space or should be kept in groups of at least 6.

TexasDomer
Still could easily be bacterial though - it's not always on the surface.

Rohit C
Still could easily be bacterial though - it's not always on the surface.

Alright so maybe a broad spectrum bacteriocidal or antiseptic?

Nitrates could be lower but they're not terrible. Try to aI'm for 20ppm or less.

The red patch looks almost like a bad bacterial infection or hemorrhaging.

The stocking issues are more about the health and benefits for your fish than parameters being fine. Most of your fish require more space or should be kept in groups of at least 6.

Yeah see all of these were kept in my 50 gal.
It was a happy tank.

5-6 of everything I have right now . But then over 9 months it decimated to this stock. So I moved them here and made my 50G a pea puffers tank with 8 of them and a lot of crustaceans .

TexasDomer
Do you have a QT tank?

I would many of the fish in this tank if you don't have a bigger tank for them.

Jonnyfishguy
Looks like he got stuck under something. Cory cats look in crevices of the substrate for food. Maybe he lodged his head in something. I don’t think it’s anything infectious. But I would quarantine him and treat him with an antI bacterial med

Rohit C
Ye
Looks like he got stuck under something. Cory cats look in crevices of the substrate for food. Maybe he lodged his head in something. I don’t think it’s anything infectious. But I would quarantine him and treat him with an antI bacterial med
Yeah that's what I think. The rednees goes deep into his head and today it has dispersed a bit but darkened which means definitly a blood clot after hitting something. any idea what to to about it?
His breathing has become more rapid and is staying away from light longer and is less active.
and yesterday for the first time I saw the other cory nudging up to him and lying together with him.

DoubleDutch
The substrate is culprit to me.
Food will get out of reach quite easy.

Rohit C
Alright maybe .
The substrate is culprit to me.
Food will get out of reach quite easy.
so what do you suggest I do?

DoubleDutch
Follow Jonny's advice (prevent infection).
Think about swapping for sand / smaller sized gravel. In the mean time yry to geed on a flat rock / plate or something so food won't get out of reach.

Rohit C
alright, thnank you.
Follow Jonny's advice (prevent infection).
Think about swapping for sand / smaller sized gravel. In the mean time yry to geed on a flat rock / plate or something so food won't get out of reach.
CAn I just add a bit of the med directly into the tank?
Don't really have QT

DoubleDutch
Depends on the med. I'd use a mild one cause it is only to prevent infection.
Even Melafix might do the job here or Esha 2000.

Rohit C
Depends on the med. I'd use a mild one cause it is only to prevent infection.
Even Melafix might do the job here or Esha 2000.
I've got the sera baktopur

DoubleDutch
Think that is okay too. Check the manual if it messes with the cycle !!!

The Rover
Temperature -26 C
Nitrate-35 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 7.6

Nope his barbels are there. That’s what I thought too. But the red coloring doesn’t look superficial. It’s as if he’s got like internal bleeding

Temperature -26 C
Nitrate-35 ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 7.6

Just curious, how do you check to see if it is or is not Popeye?

DoubleDutch
Popeye means that one or both eyes are pushed out of its sockets. If they don't it is not popeye. The wound isn't a sign of popeye.

The Rover
Popeye means that one or both eyes are pushed out of its sockets. If they don't it is not popeye. The wound isn't a sign of popeye.
Yeah, I know what Popeye is, but the way OP said it, was like he tested for it or something so was just seeing if I was missing out on some kind of test.

Thanks!

DoubleDutch
Yeah, I know what Popeye is, but the way OP said it, was like he tested for it or something so was just seeing if I was missing out on some kind of test.

Thanks!
ahhh ok. I got it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Top Bottom