Red Parrot Tank Bottom Ideas?

1. W

W.L. New Member Member

Hi, I have some large red parrots and would like to ask for ideas on what to put on the bottom of their 125 gallon tank. While I'd like to put sand, I have to keep it bare bottom because the tank is a bit overstocked and the only way to maintain a weekly water change is to keep things simple and vacuum frequently in between water changes. Previously, they were in a smaller bare bottom tank for years but now that I took them on and moved them to a new tank, I'd like to see if there are any other ideas that can be explored.

The main concern I have is light reflected off of the bottom of the tank. I noticed that these guys don't seem to like light - they are always bright red before I turn on the lights in the morning and pale throughout the day. They might be adjusting to their surroundings but I'd like to see if removing the reflection would help.

Any ideas for easy-to-maintain bottoms that will stop light from reflecting off the glass?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Black sand will work.

If you feed your fish food that is red, it will be easy to spot their poop.

Sand is really easy to maintain as the detritus will sit on the top.

3. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

I've tried sand but wound up having to do water changes 2x a week to maintain.

Are there any other options to block out the reflection?

4. OP
    OP
    W

W.L. New Member Member

In case anybody else is having this issue, I just figured out a way to reduce the light reflection by slipping in a light colored matte plastic/paper in between the light and the aquarium lid and it reduced the glare from the bottom of the tank quite a bit.