75 Gallon Tank Red Parrot, South American Puffer, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey?

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a couple of years of experience and am comfortable with basic set up of aquariums, etc.

I am setting up a 75 gallon aquarium and have a question about semi-aggressive fish. I am used to goldfish and more peaceful fish but I am new to setting up a more aggressive tank but have fallen in love with the look of some of the more aggressive fish and want to ask a question about compatibility.

The 75 gallon tank has been going for two months now with a weather loach that is about 5 inches long, a red parrot cichlid that is around 3-4 inches long, and a clown loach that is about 5-6 inches long. Each of these three have been alive for a year in a smaller tank and I have moved them to a bigger tank.

I want to know if I can add two south american puffers and an electric blue jack dempsey? I am also potentially interested in adding one more red parrot cichlid. This would be the absolute max number of fish I would put in here unless they were bottom dwellers or something.

Can I do this? As additional information, I am aware that South American puffers grow teeth very quickly and have trimmed teeth before. However, I am putting a number of smaller snails in the tank as food for the clown loach but also the puffers (as I have been told that this helps to dull the puffers teeth).

What do people think? Words can not express how much respect I have for this website. I am a relative newbie (2 years experience) but I would describe myself as more than a hobbyist. I have a 55, a 75, and a 20 and currently live in an apartment. However I have already put money aside and plan to buy a 250 gallon tank (maybe 300 if I find the right deal) when I buy a house in about 2 years.

Thanks in advance

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!!

I would most deffinately add another parrot...they do so much better in pairs....and an ebjd would be great also id up the clownies to 3 and skip the puffers as they arent nice community fish ..would love to see pics sometime

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello TC and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I agree with Shawnie. Great info.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Ken

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i had two parrots and they beat each other up all the time. i tried to constantly jail them but that didn't help. i eventually had to give one of the parrots away.

keep in mind that i had king kong parrots which are more aggressive. also, i found out that they beat each other up during mating season which I thought was weird.

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks so much for the help everyone. So I got the ebjd and another parrot. The ebjd seems to be adjusting well but the new parrot is getting beaten up by the old one. It is just constant and the new one is clearly trying to hide from the one I already had.

Is it possible that this is mating behavior or is one of my parrots just bullying the other?

The ebjd is the coolest fish I have ever owned btw. He looks amazing and I can't stop following him.

Also, shawnie, I took your advice and skipped the puffers but got two more clown loaches and the one I had was clearly excited to have two pals. It is funny because he used to hide all day and now the three of them are swimming around together, thanks so much for the advice.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think your 2 Bloody Parrots will be fine in time. Let the new one adapt to the new environment and let both of them adapt to each other. I have a feeling they'll be good buddies after a few weeks.

Their mating behavior can be aggressive. Getting into lip locks, pushing each other away. If you see one of them cleaning a particular area then chances are they may be preparing to mate.

I have photos and a video of my Bloody Parrots in my profile if you care to take a peek.

Best wishes!
Ken

We love photos around here ! hoto:

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there and welcome to FL.....cant wait to see some pics......I too have BRP and acouple of BGJD"S....and I just adore all of them!!!!!! Is there any chance that u could possibly move and shift your decorations,plants etc????? I beleive it would help the newbies in your tank....and if u change everything around even temporarily (u could put it back after a time)...I think it would definitly help with some of your issues......Ive had my parrots for quite a while and could never ever add anything else....my sweet babies would go after everything......I recently moved them to a 155 and added a couple more fish.....with No problems whatsoever......everything was new to everybody...no aggression at all

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have a video of my king kong parrots fighting as well. if i get the chance, i'll post it up. as mentioned, I had to get rid of mine cuz they wouldn't stop = ( hopefully you'll have better luck than me.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also agree to give them more time they will acclimate themselves and form a bond....if they are the king kong parrots, (Hoplarchus Psittacus)(or mixed with a midas or flowerhorn type of king kong parrot) thats a different story......but true blood red parrots will bond for life ...both sexes....although there is an exception to every rule

and im glad your clownies are happy! cant wait to see the ebjd!! (my goal fish lol)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom