Red Parrot fishes laying at bottom of tank 50 Gallon Tank 

Jetstream2008

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have 5 red parrot fishes left (one parrot fish died yestrerday 5 left, gouramis and glass fishes all died...glass fish and gourami always swam up to the top corner tank for one or two days before they died..but the parrots never swam to the top corners) which have encounter a battle with Ich for like a month. The white spots are gone now for over a week...but they seem to be still laying(except for one,,he's swimming activitly..but he scrapes too..not as much as the other 4) at the bottom of the tank and scrape against objects a lot. Their eating habbit appears to be ok except for one. I took water sample to the pet shop and have it check...everything appears to be good with the water quality. The pet guy think it's Gill Fluke when I brought the body of the parrot for him to see. He suggested the medicine Clout which cure Ich, Lernia, Argulus, leeches, Protzoan parasites, Skin Fluke and Gill Fluke. I didn't believed what he was saying but I had no other alternative but to try the medication he suggested. I started the treatment yesterday and today seem conditions hasn't improved, they are still scraping and laying at the bottom. The tank temperature is at 81F. Does anyone have any clue/suggestion what is going on? Thanks in advance!

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the tank is 50 gallons, it seems a bit small for 5 parrots and the other stockings you've had. What kind of filtration do you have running?

I've got rid of ick using maracyn, mela fix and pima fix..

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's flukes, I've successfully treated that in discus with PraziPro (praziquantel). It's expensive, but did not affect my tank's bio filter and did not appear to cause much distress to the fish. I've never tried Clout, but I'm a believer for Prazi when it comes to flukes.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i would suggest raising your water temp to 84degrees and adding an air stone,the higher the temp the more oxegen you will want in your tank,do water changes every day and do gravel cleaning,you will want to do this for at least 2 weeks,keep the water temp up to 84 for another week.this will help get rid of the ich,sounds like it is still there be patiant and stick with it.i had a problem simular to yours and this worked for me,try not to use meds if you can help it.sounds also like you have to many parrots for your tank you should only have at least 2 parrots for that size,these fish get quite big and need lots of room.there should be more responces to your ???some one will soon chime in.i hope what i have told you will help GOOD LUCK and stick with it.and welcome to fishlore. STEVE

Jetstream2008

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kuopan said:
If the tank is 50 gallons, it seems a bit small for 5 parrots and the other stockings you've had. What kind of filtration do you have running?

I've got rid of ick using maracyn, mela fix and pima fix..
First I would like to thank everyone for helping and offering sincere helps.

I got Hagen Aquaclear 110 and AquaClear 201 powerhead to help increase oxygen level.

Today, I noticed all my fishes are eating and I have raised the temperature to 84F. But they are still scraping against objects. Is this normal even after all the white ich spots are gone? Does the scraping indicate the ich is still present? Are there medication to help with this scraping? thx

I am looking for a bigger fish tank now...thx everyone!

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm having the same issue. I found body flukes on one of my Mollies. Mostly everyone in my tank is scratching. I would also like to know what I should use? Chemical medications? I wish you luck Jet stream. I know I'm gonna need it too!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello JetStream and Welcome to Fish Lore!

So sorry to hear that your fish aren't feeling well. I'm not familiar with the medications that you've used. For ICK I only treat with increased water temperatures to 86 and leave it there for two weeks. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer water requires more oxygen. I see you have a power head so that issue is covered.

Keep in mind that some medications can destroy your cycle. Speaking of cycle are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Link below:
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

I haven't experienced gill flukes, but if you'll do a Fish Lore Search, close to the top of the screen, I'm sure you'll find more information there.

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help. Knowing your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH would help us to be able to help you more.

You can access your Aquarium Profile Information by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Do you have a test kit? If not, the API (liquid) Master Test Kit is most widely recommended on this site. It will test for everything mentioned in the nitrogen cycle link. Please avoid using paper test strips as they can be inaccurate and hard to read.

Best of luck for your fish. Please keep us posted.

Ken

Jetstream2008

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi anaugle,

my fishes are cured. Basically I went to PetSmart and I told the symptoms to the sale.
The sale suggested I treat them with API Triple Sulfa. I did 2 treatments on them and it worked! After the first treatment I noticed a big difference, already! The medication was kinda pricy though $20.50 for two treatments. You might want to shop online or at another pet shop for it for better deals. GL!

aquarist48, thanks for the help and everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads