red on top of molly Important 

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My molly has red on top of her head and a little on her side. she is staying on the bottom. swims up once in a while then comes back down and leans against tank. I know i read of a desease but which one. I need to try and help her.

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A few pics would help to rule out a few things.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm afraid i cant show pics yet. All i can say is it looks like she is bleeding under skin on her head. Does that make sense. I know i read it somewhere about someone elses fish but i cant remember what it was.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried to get a little closer and she has spots of red in different places. When i looked up diseases and dont see anything like it.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got zebra danios with red under their skin & one that looks like it has a red ball at the end of the stomach. I believe its Bacterial hemmorrhagic septicemia. I bought some Maracyn Two & it seems to be helping.

I posted some pics in my thread, Sick Fish?, in the freshwater beginners section.
Hope this helps.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is what it looks like. But all the stores are closed here. Did your fish stay at the bottom and then have energy to swim to the top and back down again.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lamom43 said:
That is what it looks like. But all the stores are closed here. Did your fish stay at the bottom and then have energy to swim to the top and back down again.
The one that was the worst would go to the top far corner & swim around in circles. She would follow the other zebras some of the time, but couldn't keep up with them.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She does swim circles. I dont think she will make it till morning. Do i need to treat the other 3 mollies.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lamom43 said:
She does swim circles. I dont think she will make it till morning. Do i need to treat the other 3 mollies.
All my zebras had a red tint to them, in varying degrees, so I figured it best to treat all of them. I would probably do the same if I were you, but I'm no expert!

The medicine doesn't say anything about being harmful to healthy fish. Just remember to remove your carbon if using it.

I didn't think my one zebra, Pinky, was going to make it thru the night either, but she made it thru the night. After 3 days of treatment she looks better and has more energy!

Good Luck!

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where can i get the meds. We have a petsmart and petco. Thanks so much for the help.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem. I believe petsmart carries it. We don't have Petco here. Got mine at Petland.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sadly my fish passed an hour ago. But i do have 2 of her babys which i hope i can help grow. I'm a beginner so we will see. Thanks for the help.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

According to your Aquarium Profile Information you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle. If this is still the case then the link below will help you:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Also having a test kit is crucial and what is most recommended is the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. This kit will test for everything mentioned in the Nitrogen Cycle link.

Check out the information and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you've already been given this information, then please update your Aquarium Profile Information. You can access the Profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Hemorrhagic Septicemia (as mentioned above) can be cause by poor water conditions and ammonia poisoning.

Best wishes for your fish. I hope the treatment suggested previously by another member helps.

Keep us posted please.

Ken

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks im getting all that done today.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok i went and had my water tested. The ammonia was the problem and caused my fish to get sick most likely. I was stupid and should have researched all this before getting fish. But like most people my parents bought fish stuck them in a tank and fed them and that was that. I knew i needed to do stuff for the tank but not everything. Bought lifequard all in one to treat my fish cause the petstore didnt have the med i was recomended. Figures they wouldnt have it. So i'm hoping the tank gets better. the nitrates and all the other stuff was good.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry about your loss and don't be hard on yourself, I started with 4 fish in a 5 gallon tank. Hopefully your other fish will be ok.

On a side note, my one zebra was sitting on the bottom of the tank last night after I finished talking with you. And now, my 5yr old daughter just came in the room 10 minutes ago and said she was dead. I looked, she's barely alive and lying on her side at the bottom. Life sucks sometimes!

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So true. sorry about your fish. Thanks for all the help yesturday.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem, wish I could have done more.

andy longhurst

I learnt the hard way. I started a tank about 3 months ago. Was told to leave it a week before adding fish which i did, then i added a family of guppy's. A week later 1 gave birth then died and a few days later the rest started to get dropsy. They started with red spots under there skin which turned out to be liver failure and i Lost the 1 by 1, babys and all. I was gutted so i read up as much info on fish and tanks as i could find. I started a new tank about 2 months ago and tested the water everyday till it was perfect for new fish to go in. The most important lesson i learned was to start with very few fish and add more over time. now my tanks is doing really well.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads