Red Nose Rummy, Lambchop Rasbora, or Long Fin White Cloud Minnows?

ShastaDaisy

I’m hoping for some thoughts on stocking my newish aquarium.
It’s a 32.5 gallon planted tank that’s been running for 7 weeks.
Current stock is:
x6 long fin panda corys
x4 amano
x3 RCS
I keep the tank at 75 degrees and have monitored my water levels, which have been clean.

I was thinking about adding a school of rummy nose as I love the look of them swimming together.
I think they’d be relaxing to watch.

But I’ve recently discovered the long fin white cloud minnow and think they’d be super fun.

I’m so torn.
suggestions?
AB60A920-F5B8-457C-B66A-CC1496DB2E84.jpeg
?

Rev

First off I want to say I love that tank it is gorgeous. Do you by chance know what kind of rock that is? (the huge one). Also what kind of moss is on the driftwood? Sorry now I'll get back to the more pressing matter of stocking. I don't think you can go wrong with either. You could do a slightly larger school of white clouds since they're a bit smaller than rummy nose tetras. But White Clouds also prefer cooler water, usually 72 or less into the 60s. I'm assuming 75 wouldn't be too big of a difference for them but I could be wrong. Most tank raised fish are more tolerant to various conditions.

ShastaDaisy

Rev said:
First off I want to say I love that tank it is gorgeous. Do you by chance know what kind of rock that is? (the huge one). Also what kind of moss is on the driftwood? Sorry now I'll get back to the more pressing matter of stocking. I don't think you can go wrong with either. You could do a slightly larger school of white clouds since they're a bit smaller than rummy nose tetras. But White Clouds also prefer cooler water, usually 72 or less into the 60s. I'm assuming 75 wouldn't be too big of a difference for them but I could be wrong. Most tank raised fish are more tolerant to various conditions.
Thank you! They said that the rock is “dragon rock”, but I’ve seen other pictures of dragon rock since that don’t have all the little caves so I’m not 100% sure. For the moss, it’s Christmas moss on the bottom and weeping moss in the top branches.
Ok, thanks for the input. If I put the rummy nose in I might raise the temperature one or two degrees, and if I do the minnow then I might lower it one or two degrees. Or leave it where it is if everyone’s happy.

JettsPapa said:
What is "aman"? Amano shrimp?
Sorry, I was typing this late at night and missed the “o”. Yes, amano shrimp.

yeti79

The white clouds should be easier to keep. Wish I had the long fin variety, have the golden and original myself.

altwitch

While aesthetically I would recommend the rummies, one of my favorite fish, defo agree with yeti. I've had nothing but tribulations keeping my rummies happy and healthy. They're the first to go if anything goes wonky in the tank. I still want to try again though - truly beautiful schooling in a larger aquarium.

Also concur, your tank is well designed and looks great!

JettsPapa

altwitch said:
While aesthetically I would recommend the rummies, one of my favorite fish, defo agree with yeti.
Yeti?

ShastaDaisy

yeti79 said:
The white clouds should be easier to keep. Wish I had the long fin variety, have the golden and original myself.
How would you describe them, what do you enjoy about them?

altwitch said:
While aesthetically I would recommend the rummies, one of my favorite fish, defo agree with yeti. I've had nothing but tribulations keeping my rummies happy and healthy. They're the first to go if anything goes wonky in the tank. I still want to try again though - truly beautiful schooling in a larger aquarium.

Also concur, your tank is well designed and looks great!
Any feedback or thoughts on what exactly makes them so tricky? I’ve heard they can be sensitive. But trying to understand in what way, or what does them in?

altwitch

If I had to pick two things most experienced folks I've asked have said are that they're very pH sensitive, especially to changes. Take longer to acclimate them more slowly was my solution.

My second hypothesis is that they are very easily stressed. Despite having ample places to hide, I think some of the bigger fish in the tank may have spooked them and caused behavioral reaction or even physical stress to them even in a sizable school. Best evidence I have is I left them in QT 10 gallon for like 2 months and they were active and healthy; moved them to the big tank and they faded quickly one by one over about 2 weeks. Never a sign of predation on living members of the group.

ShastaDaisy

altwitch said:
If I had to pick two things most experienced folks I've asked have said are that they're very pH sensitive, especially to changes. Take longer to acclimate them more slowly was my solution.

My second hypothesis is that they are very easily stressed. Despite having ample places to hide, I think some of the bigger fish in the tank may have spooked them and caused behavioral reaction or even physical stress to them even in a sizable school. Best evidence I have is I left them in QT 10 gallon for like 2 months and they were active and healthy; moved them to the big tank and they faded quickly one by one over about 2 weeks. Never a sign of predation on living members of the group.
That’s helpful. Thank you. Too bad, they’re so beautiful to watch!

Amazoniantanklvr

Beautiful tank. Id go with rummies. Is that a fluva flex 32.5?

ShastaDaisy

Thank you! Yes that’s the tank. I‘M super happy with it, and hope they come out with a large one in that style!
Thanks for the input on the rummies, I do love them.

Amazoniantanklvr

Those are almost imposible to get. How did you get it!?
I've never seen one for sale local. Online they always say coming soon/out of stock

JettsPapa

yeti79

ShastaDaisy said:
How would you describe them, what do you enjoy about them?
They are very peaceful fish and not aggressive eaters. The usually are just slowly swimming or hovering around. Sometimes the males will flair up at each other and put on a show. The white clouds, of all the fish I own, are the most relaxing to watch. Since they are not zooming all around you can really check them out too. They are a great blend of simplicity and beauty.
If you do get some long fin consider breeding them with the golden variety for a different look. White clouds are an easy fish to breed and I'm sure a long finned golden one would look amazing.

ShastaDaisy

That sounds really perfect. Breeding them sounds fun. I can see that I’m going to need another tank soon

ShastaDaisy

I’m so torn between these 3.
I would really like something that schools (rummy), think the orange in the lamb chops would look cool, and really like the looks and antics of the long fin white clouds.
I have a 32 gallon planted tank that currently has 6 panda Corys and some shrimp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Betta02

I have the Harlequin Rasboras (same as lambchop?) and I love them. Will be getting more. I was also looking at the White Clouds, but believe they need much cooler water than the Rasboras, which is why I decided against them. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in.

CoryBoi

ShastaDaisy

Betta02 said:
I have the Harlequin Rasboras (same as lambchop?) and I love them. Will be getting more. I was also looking at the White Clouds, but believe they need much cooler water than the Rasboras, which is why I decided against them. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in.
Do they school together?
I think they are similar, but the lambchop EspeI are smaller and a little different in their colouring

CoryFan said:
I would go with some rummynose or silver tip tetras
I love your tank!
Thank you!
I’m pretty fond of the rummy nose.
do you have silver tips? What do you like about them?

Craig_84

ShastaDaisy said:
Thank you!
I’m pretty fond of the rummy nose.
do you have silver tips? What do you like about them?
I have some rummys and the school very tightly and dart from one end of tank to the other constantly , very nice too watch and personally one of my favourite fish. Also have cardinals which do stand out a lot more than rummys but the tend to just spread out and are not as interesting to watch. Had glow light rasboras in the past they are nice fish too.

Edit: I personally found silver tips quite nippy with each other

ShastaDaisy

Craig_84 said:
I have some rummys and the school very tightly and dart from one end of tank to the other constantly , very nice too watch and personally one of my favourite fish. Also have cardinals which do stand out a lot more than rummys but the tend to just spread out and are not as interesting to watch. Had glow light rasboras in the past they are nice fish too.

Edit: I personally found silver tips quite nippy with each other
That helps, thank you. I think I’d really like the schooling behaviour. It’s so hard to choose as they all seem to have their merits!

Amazoniantanklvr

LOVE the additions to ur tank!! OMG. Get rummies they school well together. Didn't you have a similar thread to this 4 or 5 days ago??

ShastaDaisy

Amazoniantanklvr said:
LOVE the additions to ur tank!! OMG. Get rummies they school well together. Didn't you have a similar thread to this 4 or 5 days ago??
I put out a post looking for stocking suggestions, have it narrowed down to these three, but so torn. Wish I could just get another tank, lol

Fish4848

I like cloud minnows as they are very hardy, but you would have to keep your tank at around 65 to 72 degrees F

yeti79

I would pick the long fin white clouds myself especially since they are not readily available in my area and I have the regular and gold variety already. Be getting some beautiful fish no matter what one you choose.

ShastaDaisy

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Those are almost imposible to get. How did you get it!?
I've never seen one for sale local. Online they always say coming soon/out of stock
Oh really? Pisces Pet Emporium in Calgary has a few in stock consistently. That’s good to know, I don’t have another quality LFS to compare them to, but I do drive past the box stores to get to them because they are so educational and helpful. Good to know what a great job they’re doing of getting stuff in!

Latest threads

Top Bottom