Red Neon rainbow fish dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lagiacrus, Jul 9, 2015.

1. L

Lagiacrus New Member Member

Hey fellow fishkeepers! I need to discuss a recent issue regarding my fish and fish tank.

On June 28th, I added 2 pseudomugil paskai and 1 galaxy rasbora to my tank.
    On June 30th, I returned the rasbora to the LFS and brought home 2 more pseudomugil paskai.
    -----
    On July 7th, I came home from work around 1 - 2 AM and found one of the dead. I do not recall the water parameters but the fish itself did not show any obvious wounds or signs of disease. The day prior it looked and acted normal.
    -----
    On July 8th, I came home from work the same time and found a second one dead. Again, all was fine during the day with its behavior. These were the water parameters:
    Ammonia 0.25 PPM
    Nitrite 1.0 PPM
    Nitrate 15 PPM

I noticed the fish's tail fin looked damaged. I performed a 50% water change.
    -----
    I arrived home this morning and found a 3rd one dead. I will post pictures of its condition. It does not look good...
    I also took note that several pieces of dwarf hairgrass were floating at the top, as if something disrupted the roots.
    Water parameters:

Ammonia 0 PPM
    Nitrite 0.5 PPM
    Nitrate 5 PPM

UALMuBK.png m9AH2XS.png
    -----

I have a feeling that this has happened because my tank was overstocked, and perhaps I caused aggression by not having at least 6 neons. I have never seen any of the fish harass each other, but I'm not home from 3 PM to 1 AM. I do not suspect it to be a water quality issue. I do a 20%~ water change every other day and a 50% water change on the weekends.

My tank is a 12 gallon. The inhabitants are 3 guppies, 1 female honey gourami, previously 4 neons (down to 1), and some ghost shrimp. My perception is that the guppies are friendly and curious, but never nip at anyone. The gourami is sweet and has never shown any signs of aggression.

My plan was to save money for a larger tank and properly house everyone, but at this point the remaining neon would be better off returned to the LFS. Does anyone have a good idea of what exactly happened? Thank you for your help!

2. s

sha4000 Valued Member Member

I think you have 2 problems. Your tank is overstocked and not completely cycled yet.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you for the response. When you get a chance, could you elaborate? I don't necessarily believe the tank is still cycling, but that the levels were higher due to the death and decay of the fish.

4. s

sha4000 Valued Member Member

If you know for sure that it's cycled then that's good but there is most likely some aggression in the tank especially with the Gourami in there even if your not witnessing it. The tank is just to small for it to be comfortable.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The fish most likely died as a result of the ammonia and nitrite being present. With a gourami and the neons, I would recommend nothing less than a 20 gallon, although bigger is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    L

Ugh, I guess I'll have to chalk this up as a learning experience. I wanted a small centerpiece fish for the tank and based my decision off of this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+870+992&pcatid=992

But I didn't take into account the amount of waste each species of fish would produce.

Perhaps I should have did a bigger water change after the first neon died and maybe I could have saved the other 2. Either way, I have to take the last one back today because it is definitely unhappy without any mates. That will leave me with the 3 guppies and a gourami in a 12 gallon tank. That's definitely not overstocked, right?

P.S. I've pretty much already decided that the next tank I set up will be 40 - 55 gallons. I have never had anything over 20 in the past but I want to reduce the chances of overstocking next time.

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

"cycled" is a never ending system of grow and dying back of the colony. When you add more fish the bacteria colony has to grow to accomodate the new load. If the tank was not balanced prior to adding fish the tank takes much longer to adjust. You paskaii died of nitrite or ammonia poisoning.
    Nothing in your setup is aggressive and keeping the blue eyes in smaller quantities than six results in shyness not aggeession.

8. Dom90

Right, its always better to be a little understocked and overfiltered than the other way around. What kind of gourami do you have?

9. OP
    OP
    L

It's a female honey gourami. She's about 1.5 inches at the moment.

10. Dom90

That will be alright if you don't plan to stock anymore fish. But for now, just let the bacteria re-establish themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    L

Just an update, I've returned the last rainbow to the LFS. Nitrites and Ammonia are both back at 0 PPM. All seems well with the aquarium, and I'll continue to monitor the levels to ensure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing :]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice