Red Mouth Guppy

DavidMicke

Reaction score
One of my female guppies has a red spot under its mouth, it sticks out a little. It's swimming about and acting fine.

I've searched the Internet and red spot desease is my best guess. It just says treat it with salt, is that true?

I'm pretty sure she was fine yesterday so it's come on in the last 24h.
IMG_20190619_222137.jpg
IMG_20190619_222135.jpg

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
some salt can work. it's hard to say without more info. if it's around the gills too, it's probably a water quality problem. if it's just the mouth, could be an injury, some sort of infection, a weird thing that's going to go away. the bigger question is how much do you like your guppies, and what's in your tank, how big is the tank etc?

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to the forum! Definitely check your water parameters and make sure that’s in order first and foremost. Is she the only female in there? If so with two males harassing her the stress is going to make her more susceptible to a disease if she does have one. Do you have a quarantine tank you can move her to?

DavidMicke

Reaction score
She's 1 of 4 females with 7 males in a 100 liter tank with 4 other fish and some shrimp.

Water was fine when I tested 2 days ago before a water change.

I can't quarantine. My spare heater broke a few weeks ago.

I suppose I could keep it next to the radiator for a couple of hours in a salt bath if you think that would help.

What salt do you use? I got some marine salt and some sea salt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom