Red / Merlot Colored Algae

1. Glenn Milliken

Glenn Milliken New Member Member

I just upgraded my tank to CO2 it's been about a week and a half now. I have red / burgundy-colored algae growing. Is this normal? And is it safe? 1529611677639.jpg

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Does it come off in sheets and smell funky if you take it out of water. If so its probably cyano

3. OP
    OP
    Glenn Milliken

no smell and cant really get it off in a sheet

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I jve no idea what that is, never seen anything like it in freshwater. Maybe @SeattleRoy might have an idea

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

6. SeattleRoy

SeattleRoy Well Known Member Member

Hi @Glenn Milliken

It is likely a member of the Rhodophyta phylum; typically they only grow in very high light.

If you want to get rid of it here is what I suggested, use hydrogen peroxide (H2O2; 3% solution; available on shelf in drug stores) and a small oral dosing syringe (also at drug store).

1) turn on the tank like and run for 30 minutes (so algae is at full photosynthesis)

2) turn off all filtration and airstones so the water becomes calm and still

3) fill syringe with 1.5 ml per 10 gallons of tank volume and carefully 'paint' the algae area with the H2O2 in the syringe (larger tanks may allow you to refill and repeat more than once). Do not dose more than 1.5 ml per gallon total (i.e. a 20 gallon tank maximum per 24 hours is 30ml)

4) Wait twenty minutes; the algae will likely start to bubble and 'fizz'.

5) After 20 minutes turn on filters, airstones, etc.

You may have to repeat the treatment over several days. I have done the above treatment with fish as sensitive as Cardinal Tetras without fish loss.

7. OP
    OP
    Glenn Milliken

well it looks cool as !!! so as long as its safe it gets to live! thank so much:D:snaphappy::snaphappy::D