Red Marlboro Discus Question

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so now I am finally up to 4 discus in my 55 gallon took me about 3 - 4 weeks to do it but I am almost finished with my collection one or two more and Iam done.

I have a Cobalt, Blue Diamond, Flachen, and the new additon the Red Marlboro.

My question is this my Red M is pretty young I would say maybe 2 inches maybe and he is not as dark as I have seen these guys to be he is red but its a light red with some of that pepering stuff near his nose, I was told the pepring is normal and I have seen it before on discus just courious as to why he/she is so light in color and were that pepring comes from and if in deed it is normal? I am assuming it is other wise I would not have bought him but he is the only one I have with this pepering and I was courious about it and then the lite color is this something that will get darker as he gets bigger/older? That was my guess any way?
Thanks for any help on this one. And I am trying to get you guys photos of this growing collection I am pretty proud of I think they look great I did a 40% watr change last night rite before I brought him home.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hey there are a cuple of resns that they mey be pepped first breeding if the parents wernt a good match then normally there off spring will be pepped. poor care the peppers will grow if the water is bad could be y they are there in the first place. i remember slug wrote like 2 paragraphs about it lol bt that is all i remember im shore he can help ya morecannot wait to see ya fish i love blue diamond discus they are my fave i have 1 named dory she is me baby lol. sorry 4 bad spelling grammer.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus colors usually get stronger as they age. Thats a good sign. A juvi discus will never show, or should never show, full color below 3-4" in size.

Peppering is basically just a skin pigment only found in Pigeon Blood lines. Nothing harmful health wise, just unsightly usually. It will most likely spread as the fish gets older, depends on the genes really. Most do however. The best way to reduce pepper on a fish is to lighten the environment. Lighter background, lighter sand or gravel, etc. The darker the tank is the darker the fish will be and the more pepper it will show.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh no big deal I am bad speeler and poor grammer as well I was told and have read the pepering is nothing to worry about? All mine are my babbys but I do favor my cobalt discus I guess he was my first purchase I have seen full grown discus with the pepring and it did not seem to be that big of a deal the adults I have seen with this and I have seen a few they were full grown healthy not stunted and looked good to me they just had some of that pepring I think it is past on from the parents maybe?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Discus colors usually get stronger as they age. Thats a good sign. A juvi discus will never show, or should never show, full color below 3-4" in size.

Peppering is basically just a skin pigment only found in Pigeon Blood lines. Nothing harmful health wise, just unsightly usually. It will most likely spread as the fish gets older, depends on the genes really. Most do however. The best way to reduce pepper on a fish is to lighten the environment. Lighter background, lighter sand or gravel, etc. The darker the tank is the darker the fish will be and the more pepper it will show.
So in other words this is normal for my red to have a light red color rather than the dark or bright red colors I have seen on the adults? means he is not stunted and its just that he is young? there were like 8 others in the tank with him that look the exact same and I am gussing he is maybe 2 to 2.5 inches at best so is this how it is a good sighn? in other words had he been full dark like the adults it would mean he is stunted? and I have a red marlboro so is that from the pigeon line? I dont know I just figured it was something totally diferent and thats why it was called a red marlboro and not a red pigeon? This is my first red one my other three are blueish in color you know? Oh and the pepring is not bad just a little around is nose area in the front of his little narrow forehead if you can call it a forehead, lol thank you Slug I hope you can respond?

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is my adult white butterfly female. She has a good bit of peppering on her but it comes and goes with her mood. Its like a dusting all over her, not that unsightly. Really depends on the fish and their genes though. Pepper is a hereditary thing.

340.jpg

337.jpg

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so she looks good to me for sure I hope my fish grow into the subjects I have seen you post. But what about the strains is a Red Marb from the pigeon blood starin are all the redish color fish from that line? and you say that its a good thing he is light red now as it shows his proper age and that he is not just stunted? or what did you mean by that that its a good thing hes not deep red yet?
sorry fro so many questions but like I said this is my first red discus it looks awsome a spot of red in that sea of blue hues of the others.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So in other words this is normal for my red to have a light red color rather than the dark or bright red colors I have seen on the adults? means he is not stunted and its just that he is young? there were like 8 others in the tank with him that look the exact same and I am gussing he is maybe 2 to 2.5 inches at best so is this how it is a good sighn? in other words had he been full dark like the adults it would mean he is stunted? and I have a red marlboro so is that from the pigeon line? I dont know I just figured it was something totally diferent and thats why it was called a red marlboro and not a red pigeon? This is my first red one my other three are blueish in color you know? Oh and the pepring is not bad just a little around is nose area in the front of his little narrow forehead if you can call it a forehead, lol thank you Slug I hope you can respond?
Yes, light color is normal in juvenile discus. A bright colored juvi should send up red flags to you. Either stunted or hormoned, most likely stunted and its aged past its size. So fish with hardly any pattern yet is normal for 2" fish.

Yes Marlboro reds are Pigeon Blood based. There are many names out there for strains that look A LOT alike, if not identical. Its varies breeder to breeder. Red Pigeon is usually interchangeable with Red Marlboro.

Discus started with only a couple of strains. Pigeon Blood, and all the wild types (Heckel, Green, Brown). Turquoise discus were actually found naturally crossed in the wild, but it was rare. For the most part it is a man made strain. From those originals, breeders started selectively breeding different colors and patterns and crossing them. This made hundreds of new strains and each breeder named their own cross. You could have an identical looking fish but since they came from farm A they'd be named Red Marlboro, while if they came from farm B they'd be a Red Dragon or something.

Hope I didn't confuse you. I love getting deep into how strains are developed and the genes behind them. All red fish are not from the same cross or same line by the way. Questions are good, I like talking discus.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you very much and you know what this post is being copied and placed into my special folder I have created on my desktop for discus care and any other information I deem valuable or in this case very informative I certainly am glad I do in fact just have a young guy on my hand and not something else the guy told me that they were farily young so I guess he is not lying so hopefully here in the next couple of months I will be able to start to see him change into something else that will be cool to see them go thru their progresions to adult hood cool.

Oh and I understand stunted and what not but what does hormoned mean like the breeders will feed them homone drugs in theri food just to get them bigger and with more vibrant colors rather than doing it naturally with good feeding habits? and taking good care of them should have the same desired effect would it not? I wonder what adverse effects will come from a hormoned discus and why a breeder would do that any thoughts on this?

Hey you said you like questions well this 33 year old father of three girls and new to the discus game has got plenty for you if your up for it, lol! thank you for all your help nig time Slug maybe you shuld be getting paid for this??????

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh and Slug I dopnt know if you remeber me asking about getting them to feed from your hand or not? but my flachen discus has started to do that now everytime I try and hand feed them he has been doing it now about 5 or 6 times and the others are getting within like centemeters from doing it as well its so cool when they start doing that I really like it but what is weird is the flachen untill my recent additon of my Red Marb was the newest memebr you would think my first one bought the cobalt would have been the first I guess they really do have diferent personalitys youknow? I just hope the others will soon follow I think they will now dont you?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah thats cool to hear I cant wait for that my discus even tried to take a bite of my finger even when I wiggeled it, must have thought it was a big white worm or something, lol it didnt hurt kinda tickeld made me say what do you think you are doing? biteing the hand that feeds you for reall, lol ha ha.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom