Red Marks on Male Platy

SharkBaitOohHannah

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 10 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, Aqua clear 50
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
male and female adult platy
dwarf gourami
2 juvenile platy
4ish platy fry

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? weekly or every other week
How much of the water do you change? 30%
What do you use to treat your water? aqua safe plus
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vaccum the sand in portions and do a run over of the entire surface

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: in that weird green spot where it could be a very low reading but might be a false positive, certainly under 0.25 ppm if not 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: somewhere between 0 and 5.0 ppm
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? daily
How much do you feed your fish? about as much as they can eat in a couple minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra min freshwater flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes, frozen brine shrimp occasionally, but not in the last month

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? red marks near back fin have been there for as long as I can remember, I only noticed the red mark on head today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? red spot on head and red spots near back fin, unusual behavior
Have you started any treatment for the illness? turned up the temp to 80 and used about a half dose of aquarium salt, just pulled out into quarantine bin
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? fish has acted lethargically and sitting at the bottom of the tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I've had this fish for several months now and I don't remember seeing the first red marks show up. Because his dorsal fin was already red, I just sort of assumed the marks were normal. Looking back at the first picture of him I have, there are definitely more red marks and his dorsal fin is much more red. About a month ago, I had a female platy die, seemingly from childbirth, as there was white, stringy material around her and lesions near her stomach and she had been squared off for several days without giving birth. Ever since then, he has seemed very lethargic, which I assumed was from the fish version of grief. During my water change last weekend, I turned up he heat to 80 because I've read that it can be beneficial in fighting off certain health issues in fish. However, today I noticed a larger, red looking mark on the top of his head, and wondered if the two cases could be related. The other fish in the tank seem active and healthy (The other female is giving birth as I write this), but I'm not ruling out ammonia poisoning as the tank is fairly new and there could have been a spike I didn't see, or a very low level in the tank. I'm going to move him over into a quarantine bin and half dosed the tank with aquarium salt. If anyone has any ideas of what I should do other than isolate, I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys

SM1199

Is there any way you can provide a photo?

SharkBaitOohHannah

Yes! Whoops! Should’ve already included it. I just took this and the mark I saw on his head which I was most concerned about is seemingly gone, which seems to me to indicate that like it’s likely a water quality issue, but the redness on his dorsal fin and side, which have been there for a while, are still visible and in the photo. I also put in a dose of PolyGuard, but I’d be surprised if that did much this quickly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 67

Datpersonwithplaties

So you said your fish haven’t been physically injured? This is just a theory... but do any of your other fish try fighting with him? If not, sorry. It’s just... the only thing I’ve read up about red marks are that another fish could be fighting them and getting marks and cuts on their body, if so, take action quick, because fish behaviour like fighting and physically injuring the fish can usually result in the fish getting gills and fins ripped off and the fish dying.... if not I’m so dearly sorry for this crazy theory but sometimes when you’re not home fish can do this. I haven’t read all of your answers to the questions exactly, but I do know enough to know he does seem okay. Ignore this if you want, peace out

Oops sorry I just realised this could be a water issue I’m soooo sorry!

SharkBaitOohHannah

So you said your fish haven’t been physically injured? This is just a theory... but do any of your other fish try fighting with him? If not, sorry. It’s just... the only thing I’ve read up about red marks are that another fish could be fighting them and getting marks and cuts on their body, if so, take action quick, because fish behaviour like fighting and physically injuring the fish can usually result in the fish getting gills and fins ripped off and the fish dying.... if not I’m so dearly sorry for this crazy theory but sometimes when you’re not home fish can do this. I haven’t read all of your answers to the questions exactly, but I do know enough to know he does seem okay. Ignore this if you want, peace out
You might be right, as that could explain why the red mark on his head showed up so quickly and has gone away quickly. I’ve heard of dwarf gouramies being aggressive before, although I’ve never noticed that behaivor in the guy in my tank. Seeing as the platy was lethargic, maybe the gourami saw him as an easy target. It could also be a combination of water quality and the gourami. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Datpersonwithplaties

No problem! I’m so happy I could help! I hope your platy is better soon!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Anonfish4
Replies
Views
Susibug
Replies
Views