Red mark on otocinclis

itsEmma

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Yesterday evening I noticed this red mark on one of my otocinclis. He's one of my biggest, fattest otos but is now really lethargic, not eating and just sitting still.

20200329_091611.jpg

This morning I was able to get a decent picture as he was resting right at the front of the tank.
I dosed Paraguard last night when I first spotted it, it's all I have but I've no idea if it will help as I don't know what the mark is. (but thought Paraguard might help?)

Does anyone have experience of something similar?
Could it be an injury or a parasite maybe?

The tank is well established, all parameters are fine and consistent, I've had this oto for probably around 6 months.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Emma

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like it could be a heater burn or injury of some sort, I’m not good with med recommendations so will leave that to others but in the meantime extra water changes are always my first go to as good clean water will help healing.

OP
itsEmma

itsEmma

Reaction score
HI Coradee,

Thank you for taking the time to reply but unfortunately he died earlier today.

The strange thing was that the red mark appeared to be a little better (less red) but he was still really lethargic and so weak that he actually couldn't cling onto the glass and was slowly sliding down it when he tried to.

As it didn't look like there was a secondary infection, could he have gone into shock from getting burned?

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a guard for the heater? If that was what it was, it's such a sad, unnecessary thing to have happened.

Emma

New Threads