Red mark on molly

topgun4334

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi i have had this molly for about 3-4 months and he has developed a red mark on his side just in front of his fin. Its red in colour and circular its about 0.5mm or so in size, he seems very slow in nature and either stays on the bottom or floats on the top of the water which is not normal for him does anyone have any ideas what it can be ?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore topgun4334!

Is your profile up to date? It indicates you have a Red Tail Shark with mollies, guppies, unknown tetras and a pair of gourami in a 85L/22G tank.

I'm sorry to say that this tank is overstocked. Further, Red Tail Sharks can become aggressive by nature and putting them in a crowded environment only heightens this aggression. Here's some information on your shark: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm. It should be kept in a 55 gallon/208L tank minimum.

Do you know what type of gourami you have? Some can get huge, such as the Kissing Gourami which can get a foot long.

W type of tetras do you have?

Knowing that your tank is overstocked, there are a few possibilities as to why your molly has a red mark. It could be your water parameters are showing signs of waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) or nothing more than shark aggression.

In order to provide suggestions specific to your situation, please post your water parameters as well as a photo of the injured/diseased molly.

Good luck.

topgun4334

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
catsma_97504 said:
Welcome to Fishlore topgun4334!

Is your profile up to date? It indicates you have a Red Tail Shark with mollies, guppies, unknown tetras and a pair of gourami in a 85L/22G tank.

I'm sorry to say that this tank is overstocked. Further, Red Tail Sharks can become aggressive by nature and putting them in a crowded environment only heightens this aggression. Here's some information on your shark: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm. It should be kept in a 55 gallon/208L tank minimum.

Do you know what type of gourami you have? Some can get huge, such as the Kissing Gourami which can get a foot long.

W type of tetras do you have?

Knowing that your tank is overstocked, there are a few possibilities as to why your molly has a red mark. It could be your water parameters are showing signs of waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) or nothing more than shark aggression.

In order to provide suggestions specific to your situation, please post your water parameters as well as a photo of the injured/diseased molly.

Good luck.
I have a Dwarf male and a Dwarf female gouriami and the two tetras i have found out are silver tips. I had a previous post on here before because i was asking about how many fish i can have in my tank and everyone seemed to be saying i was not overstocked,

The behavior of the shark he can sometimes chase the other fish around the tank but when he is in his cave he doesn't seem to bother much hes always scavenging about. Are you saying the shark needs to be in a bigger tank just because of him being territorial in a smaller tank ?

My ammonia i am having a lot of problems with at the moment, its really high i posted on here before and everyone told me to do regular water changes which i am doing 50% changes daily and with ammo lock.

And i shall take a picture later when the batteries in my camera have charged as i know its hard trying to explain a mark on a fish thank you for your help

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
As to being overstocked, bottom line is that this is your tank to do with as you see fit. I shared my opinion on issues I see. Someone else may disagree.

If you haven't already, I still suggest that you look at the information on that link I gave you that discusses Red Tailed Sharks. This article states:

Temperament / Behavior : These fish can be hostile and are not recommended for community fish tanks with smaller tropical fish. They seem to behave when kept with larger fish.

Tank Size : 55 gallon

Compatible Tank Mates : Larger tropical fish given their aggressive nature but none large enough to eat them.
The fact that your shark is sometimes chasing the other fish is a sign of his aggression starting to come out. And, it will only get worse over time. Red Tailed Sharks can stress smaller fish to the point that they will have health issues...which I believe will happen with your Silver Tipped Tetras as they only reach 2-3cm.

IMO your shark does not belong in your 85L tank. It should be housed in a tank that is no less than 200L as it needs a lot of room and many hiding spaces.

Now, as for your ammonia issue. I believe that your tank may be going through a mini-cycle. You should continue to do 50% daily water changes; however, I would suggest using either Prime or AmQuel+ as both of these products help to protect the inhabitants from ammonia as well as other nitrogenous waste that can build up in a mini-cycle.

Good luck with your tank!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads