Red mangroves

1. fishman705 Member Member

OK I just got a few mangroves and I neededto knowif it would be OK to have them completely underwate until the leaves grow or do I need to have the tip of them out on top?

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe that majority of the plant needs to be out of the water just like Bamboo. I don't have any experience with trying to submerge the plant though. I've only ever grew them in pots that hung on the inside of my tank.

3. fishman705 Member Member

Well I have them in the sand now so I'm thinking I have to bring them up some how to have the tip exposed outside the water.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

"To encourage elaborate, aerial root systems, begin seedlings tied gently to a post (PVC pipe, rigid airline tubing, etc.) with flexible gardener's tape - available at a landscape or garden center. Be sure to use flexible tape, as rigid ties will cut into the plant as it grows. Immerse the tethered seedling to a depth where only the lower 1/3 of the propagule is submerged in water. Roots will sprout before leaves. As roots begin to grow and develop, you only need to gradually move the "body" of the plant upwards on the stake. "

source: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php (excellent article)

5. HealthyTanks Initiate Member

They should float at the correct depth. If not you can make “floats” for them by using a swimming pool noodle. Round discs about ¾ of in inch thick with a hole in the middle for the seed.

Don

6. fishman705 Member Member

ok thanks I think I'll use some styrofoam because I read that it could be used as well

7. HealthyTanks Initiate Member

Styrofoam will work fine. They will root and bloom quicker if they are outside in direct sunlight then you can wean them back into artificial lighting. They can also grow with fresh water and make nice house plants. They are great plants to grow. I hope you enjoy it.
    Don

8. fishman705 Member Member

Yea thanx I think these red mangroves are going to be a huge benefit to my reef tank

9. fishman705 Member Member

Well im finally starting to grow some coralline algae that's what I've been waiting for Its been exactly 3 months since I first started my reef tank and just 2 days ago I noticed something purple on two of my live rocks so I guess that's it.