Red lined torpedo barbs with thread finned rainbows

tylerhull123

I have two rose lined barbs and 9 thread finned rainbows in my tanks and every time I look at the tank the barbs are schooling with the rainbows. Is this normal? I have never had these barbs before. So behavior with them is all new to me.

J.M.S.

Welcome to the site!

As far as I know barbs are schooling fish and should be kept in a group with a minimum of 6 of their own kind, so they may just be schooling with the others since their numbers are low... I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Hello Tyler and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Welcome to the forum!

denison barbs (roseline sharks, red line torpedo barb) are actively schooling fish, that attain a length of 6 inches when full grown. They are very fast and need room to swim. If they are in fact schooling together, it is because they are stressed and are looking for the comfort the school provides. They would otherwise be schooling with their own kind.

The idea that different species (types) of fish will happily school together is a fairytale. If they appear to be doing so, it's either out of desperation because of an improper school size, or because the tank is not large enough for them to have their own space.

Sharkdude

Well Known
How big is your tank?

For most barbs minimum school is 6, from all of my research Roselines minimum is 4 but like all schooling fish prefer larger. I would recommend no smaller than a 75 for a school of at least 5. My Roselines don't school with anything other than themselves. They are incredibly active and really great to have as long as you can provide for them.

Feeding then a high quality diet of pellet and frozen foods and their red will shimmer. Take a look at mine in my profile.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Your sig could probably use an update

FailedSlacker

How big is your tank?

For most barbs minimum school is 6, from all of my research Roselines minimum is 4 but like all schooling fish prefer larger. I would recommend no smaller than a 75 for a school of at least 5. My Roselines don't school with anything other than themselves. They are incredibly active and really great to have as long as you can provide for them.

Feeding then a high quality diet of pellet and frozen foods and their red will shimmer. Take a look at mine in my profile.
75gal is still on the tiny-size for roselines. They really should be in a tank at least 6 feet long.

Also, they are subtropical fish so ideally the temperature should be kept between 65degF and 70degF.

Sharkdude

Well Known
Your sig could probably use an update

Me?!

I took them off because most of them died yesterday from a really bad ich case that seemingly happened overnight.

tylerhull123

I have a 75gal tank. It's not that they don't school together it's that they just seem to like to be among the thread fins. They aren't trying to school 100% of the time it's just often enough that it looks like they belong with them. They are all about the same size right now. When they aren't with the thread fins they are looking for food.
I'm not worried about tank size at the moment. They are far to small to care about that at the moment.

Sharkdude

Well Known
Mine swim with my Platinum barbs but their not schooling with them. They just like the company of other fish I think. Yours are probably trying to seek saftey in numbers, but you only have the rainbows. If you had more they probably will stop this behavior.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
I agree with failedslacker - ultimately they will need a 6 foot tank. I just don;t think a 4 foot tank is long enough for a school of 6 inch fish, denison barb or anything else.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • CaptainSupport
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
TheFishmonger
  • Dewclaw83
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
  • Shadowbeam
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Diggly
  • gingerone
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • turnonthebrightlights
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
turnonthebrightlights

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Fish are one of the most popular pets in America and aquarium keeping is one of the fastest growing hobbies... Nearly 12% of all households in the USA own at least 1 fish. Freshwater is still way more popular most likely due to initial setup costs.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom