Red Line Torpedo Barb experience? Question

1. Shadowbeam Member Member

Hey hey all :)
    I was in my LFS today, thought i'd check out thier stock in prep for getting my 200 ltr this christmas :D
    I saw a species called red lined torpedo barb and i fell for them completely!

I asked about whether they would go well with the other fish i was considering (e.g. Krib, mollies, platies, angelfish) and he stated they shouldn't be a problem.

After my experiences with my other LFS (which i don't use anymore >>) i was wary. But he really seemed to know what he was talking about, knew alot about kribs when i asked, compatibility etc.

But i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this fish?

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

They are quite beautiful fish, I can see why you'd want them! :)
    Red lines are peaceful schoolers that prefer calm tank mates. They can grow pretty large; I've personally seen some around the 6 inch mark. If I remember correctly, 200 ltrs is somewhere around 50 gallons. This should work for keeping a group of red lines, but IMO is probably a minimum for them. You should be able to get by with it, but just remember to keep in mind their adult size when stocking your tank. :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Aren't they super expensive?

Liveaquaria has them listed for $30 a piece. How much are they there?

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Pretty much. The cheapest I've seen them is $29.99 each.

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

Yeah i saw online a bit later they can grow to around the 15cm mark, how many would be recommended for a school? 4-6 maybe?

And i totally forgot to look at the price but generally, the price doesn't really bother me when i fall for a fish hehe

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That fish place has them for $17.

She's in the UK though

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Good price, but shipping would be quite expensive! :p

I'd go with 6 for a school. They would look stunning in a planted tank. :)

8. Shadowbeam Member Member

They do look beautiful, but thinking about how big they grow i think i'd be best not getting them, i'd hate for them to feel crowded :(
    I can still dream though hehe

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL... you will get a bigger tank someday! :)

10. Shadowbeam Member Member

Lol seems like there's a bit of enabling going on here :p
    I don't think my partner would let me get a bigger tank, had to spend a long time convincing him on this one hehe

11. guppy man Member Member

At my L.F.S. they had them on sale for ten dollars a peice.Their pretty cooooooool.

12. Shadowbeam Member Member

hehe they really are :) I'll jus keep dreaming of that bigger tank!

13. Toddnbecka Member Member

When we get around to buying a larger house I'm planning to build a 7-8' show tank. Torpedo barbs are most likely going to be on the stock list.

14. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi Shadowbeam, Dennison barbs are cool and not like other barbs, ie; you dont have to have a shoal of 5 plus as they dnt dart about like looneys looking for the next fin too nibble on. I know a few pple that have only 1 in their tank as a show piece and they do very well. A tad pricey, my LFS sells them at £10.90, but not enough too break the bank. IMO you could have 2 easily in a 200 ltr.
    Good Luck

Nick

15. Shadowbeam Member Member

Hey thanks for the advice! I'll go check them out now :D Always good to hear alternatives, so much appriciated

16. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi shadow, Denison barbs are red line torpedo but we call them the afore mentioned. Scientific name is Puntius Denisonii.
    Hope this helps
    Nick

17. Shadowbeam Member Member

Hehe yeah so I found out when I looked up the name :)

18. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I found a cheap 500l tank but didnt tell my bf the size ;) I just showed him a picture. By the time it came I just went oh well its here now haha - he loves it as much as I do though!