Red light left on at night

1. R

ReCause5764 Valued Member Member

I have one of those volcanos with an air stone in it but it also has red LED lights and they're decently bright. My question is, if I leave this light on all the time will it affect my plants? And further more will it affect my fish?

2. Spencer1044

Spencer1044 Well Known Member Member

A picture possibly might help. I have a hard time believing A light from a decoration would be bright enough to harm anything. If its anything like the indicator light on heaters then know but if it is really that bright it might be annoying to your fish remember they don't have eyelids so the cant block out light. If it isn't too bright you shouldn't have to worry about it just move it to the front corner of your tank. An Idea is you could hook it up with your tank light to timer so it just shuts off at night. You can usually find them at home depot for like $5-$10.

3. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

It actually shines up really bright. It's like a light ring with bubbles coming out of it. I have one too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top is a white tetra and red wag swordtail (orange). The bottom are blue and white tetras.

Just an idea of the light output. You can also see the bubbles are red.

4. OP
    OP
    R

ReCause5764 Valued Member Member

And to be honest I'm a completely dark room it seems much brighter

5. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Yes. It seems much brighter when all lights are off! I agree! I had the "night" blue lights on in the tank when I took the pics.

I have no idea if it is a good or bad thing but was trying to provide some pics so maybe someone else could chime in! I'm curious too and never thought about it until you asked.

6. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Shouldn't harm anything, you will find algae grows on the lights though making it appear like the lights are dimming so you'll need to wipe the LED's during maintenance.

My father-in-laws tank has that volcano too and they are BRIIIIGHT. creates a neat effect though with the glowing orange, especially when its dark.