Red Light And Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Cycerath, Apr 23, 2017.

1. CycerathValued MemberMember

i was at petco today, talking with the fish guy. he told me fish don't see red light, part of the spectrum that is blind to them. i wanted to verify this claim since it was the first time i had heard it, might be true with some fish but i wanted to know if it's true for bettas since i know they can see color. i have rgb light bulbs, so it's as simple as pressing a button. i tend to stay up late and keep a dim corner light on so i can see a little without disturbing my bettas. if this is true i could just change the color to red instead of turning off most of my lights. anyone ever heard of this?

2. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

Kind of doesn't work for betta fish who live in shallow regions
    Water absorbs light quickly so that the deeper you get the darker it gets. makes sense right?
    Red has a long wavelength so it's absorbed more quickly so deeper down some fish won't see it, but not as shallow as a rice paddy in Thailand
    green and blue have shorter wavelengths and is absorbed slower do they will see this deeper (and also why the deeper you are in a pool the darker it looks, because red and stuff don't live down there)
    He will definitely see the red light

Heck whats even more amazing is the Stop Light Loose Jaw. It's a deep ocean fish that can produce red and blue bioluminescence (stop light, get it lol) and can use the red light it produces as a flashlight to hunt in the deep ocean undetected because other organisms can't see that red except other loose jaws. Without a strong sense of smell you're as good as lunch to not know this guy is around!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. SenValued MemberMember

I'm not really sure fish process color the same way humans do, especially since light "scatters" through water and absorption of certain wavelengths is weird at the deeper depths of the ocean (that is, after 2 meters fish can still detect red light, but it's mostly all scattered/absorbed at 3 meters? Something like that).

I think that for fish, the intensity of the light would matter more than the color.

My bettas will flare when I hold up something red in front of them, and they don't really react to blue and green.

4. CycerathValued MemberMember

thank you, i figured it might be different, he was trying to convince me to buy a fluval rgb hood. fortunately, money wise it wasn't within my price point or even in the benefit vs cost area, in my mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice