red lava rock/grapevine

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by llfish, Aug 4, 2015.

1. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Hello
    I am trying to decide what to put into my 125 for scaping The bottom will be fine gravel that I am transferring from my 55g along with adding 2-3 more bags. I have 3 small pieces of driftwood from there that I will be adding too.

In my "supplies" I have about 8 small chunks of red lava rock that I had used for a small africian cichlid tank a couple years ago....would this work in a freshwater community? The stock will be angels/rams/tetras etc? or will it alter the ph. I was also going to grab maybe a couple of rocks from my pond and see if they are safe.
    I am also going to get a large driftwood as well. And going to add my live plants consisting of swords, anubias and javafern
    But was also curious about the following piece, it is at petland for reptiles the exo terra forest branch. If this useable?

** also I have a large piece of driftwood in my pond..i want to bring it in but am worried about transferring snails...will boiling for a few hours help? can I add vinegar or something?

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Lava rock is inert and won't alter the pH.

3. llfishWell Known MemberMember

awesome glad to make some use of it I wish I would have thought of it sooner! Any thoughts on that exo terra branch? I am not sure ifs its grapevine or something else.

4. LuckyCorysValued MemberMember

It says it is grapevine in the description. That will work fine in the tank, as long as they haven't treated it with chemicals (none mentioned). Grapevine may decay decay a little faster than a true hardwood, but is safe for aquariums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice