Red Head Tapajos Compatibility?

75g Discus Tank
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

I was thinking of getting a group of juvenile Red Head Tapajos(to develop a breeding pair) for my 75.

Would they be compatible with:

Honeycomb catfish
SterbaI corydoras
Rummynose tetras
Cardinal tetras
Amano shrimp
BN plecos

All of the fish are 2+ inches and the shrimp are about 1 inch.

The honeycombs will be added soon and will be small(around 1-1.5 inches probably).

Would they be in danger from Red Head Tapajos? If ever heard that they are less aggressive.

TexasDomer
I've heard they do better in groups, rather than just a pair, and I'm not sure you have room for that. Are you trying to breed them?

75g Discus Tank
I've heard they do better in groups, rather than just a pair, and I'm not sure you have room for that. Are you trying to breed them?
Breeding would be cool. I’ve heard mixed info about the. Either keep them singularly, in pairs, or in a large group.

I wanted a pair to have multiple geophagus, but not to the point of overcrowding. A group would be pushing the limits of the tank.

TexasDomer
I might choose a different species of cichlid that might do better as a pair in your tank.

75g Discus Tank
I was thinking about geophagus as they are a cool species that I would love to keep. But if it won’t work, then I’ll be fine with it.

I was also thinking GBRs.

Would having all females be fine?

Or should I just do a pair?

TexasDomer
GBRs need warmer water than the BN plecos, so I wouldn't add them unless you get rid of the plecos.

There may be some species that are fine to be kept in pairs with your current stock - chromedome52 would have better info on this than me.

75g Discus Tank
I was planning in moving the female BN to a 30 (getting soon) to get ready to breed. The male is in another tank and is about 2.5 inches RN.

TexasDomer
Size doesn't really matter. I wouldn't add them to the 75 gal if you want to add GBR.

75g Discus Tank
Size doesn't really matter. I wouldn't add them to the 75 gal if you want to add GBR.
I think I want clear enough. The male will go into the 30 when he is ready to breed. Sorry for the confusion!

TexasDomer
Ah okay, that makes sense! So once he's out of the 75 gal, you could add the GBR?

75g Discus Tank
The male isn’t going to the 75. The female will be staying in there until I secure the tank.

Then, the GBRs will go in.

But this leads back to my original question. Should I go for a group of just females or a pair?

If I went with a group of females, would I be able to get like 3-5?
I don’t know much about smaller cichlids, but I’m doing my research. I haven’t seen anything about this though.

I’ve done a bit of research and came across the genus Gymnogeophagus.

I’ve heard that they are kinda like geophagus. Will they sift through the substrate like them? I haven’t found much info on them.

RonJ
I don’t think there is any Shrimp safe mid-sized Cichlid. I have red heads. They are like any other. Live with my firemouths and blue acaras. They are not really docile.

TexasDomer
I would personally do a male with a group of females. You'll see more natural behaviors. They're not usually very aggressive when spawning, so that's not too much of an issue.

If I recall correctly, most Gymnogeophagus need a cool period, and it'd be too cool for your other fish.

75g Discus Tank
So I guess I’ll skip out on geophagus. I just thought that they were cool in the way that they ate.

So I’ll do a male GBR with some females. How many should I do? I don’t want to do too many. I was thinking one male and 3 females.

TexasDomer
That should be fine, I think!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ikolbyi
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Ckline