Red Hair Algae And I'm Not Sure What Else?

Komarr

Reaction score
I noticed a few days ago what appears to be some red hair algae starting in my tank. I noticed my sword plant had a couple dead leaves. Pulled the plant because the first dead leaf I grabbed didn't want to go. I noticed these hard nodules on a couple of the leaves and wanted some help with identifying them.
Tank is 10g, with 2 bettas w/ divider and 4 cherry shrimp. Going to add some more cherrys or amanos to see if that will help mitigate the algae. 20181210_150729.jpg 20181210_150730.jpg 20181210_150746.jpg 20181210_150747.jpg

Attachments

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of plant is that, do you have a picture of the whole thing? What else in the tank shows signs of this type of growth?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like it's a java fern developing babies to me. Maybe? That's how they propagate. The baby plants develop on the back of their leaves.

Komarr

Reaction score
Actually it is a java fern. So my plant is pregnant?? And yes it is the only one showing the parts I couldn't identify. Are the first two pics are red hair algae? Man I gotta lot to learn.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually it is a java fern. So my plant is pregnant?? And yes it is the only one showing the parts I couldn't identify. Are the first two pics are red hair algae? Man I gotta lot to learn.
Haha. A pregnant plant! Hehe I guess you could call it that!

I'm thinking what you are thinking is hair algae, are the babies roots forming.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
**** nah everything looks fine. Those are the start of roots for new plants that will grow off of the main leaf. Once they are big enough you can gently remove them or wait until they big enough to simply drop off on their own. I've started a 1.6 gallon to grow out my "babies" haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom