Red Gills?

elisa001

Active Member
Member
Messages
153
Reaction score
61
Hi guys I just bought another goldfish. The flap over his gill is vey red. Is this ammonia poisoning? Is it enough to heal him by just fixing his tank conditions or do I need to treat him for ulcers or something??
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
E

elisa001

Active Member
Member
Messages
153
Reaction score
61
AquaticQueen said:
Sounds like ammonia burns/poisoning. What size is the tank?
He was in maybe 15 or 20 gallons from the store I got him from with other goldfish, and he is in my 15 gal quarantine but I have a cycled 55 gal waiting for him when he is healed
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,576
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
elisa001 said:
He was in maybe 15 or 20 gallons from the store I got him from with other goldfish, and he is in my 15 gal quarantine but I have a cycled 55 gal waiting for him when he is healed
The ammonia that goldfish produce will quickly become even more toxic, and really, he might be better off in the 55 gallon now.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
E

elisa001

Active Member
Member
Messages
153
Reaction score
61
AquaticQueen said:
The ammonia that goldfish produce will quickly become even more toxic, and really, he might be better off in the 55 gallon now.
There are 2 other goldfish in my 55 gallon I didn’t want him to spread any diseases to them is ammonia poisoning contagious? I don’t think the fish has any other issues besides the red gill flap.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,797
Reaction score
4,005
Location
Nvm I live in the US.
Experience
Just started
Well is there any ammonia present? Its definitely possible to keep a goldfish in a 15 gallon with good parameters but only if the tank is cycled and maintained.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,576
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
elisa001 said:
There are 2 other goldfish in my 55 gallon I didn’t want him to spread any diseases to them is ammonia poisoning contagious? I don’t think the fish has any other issues besides the red gill flap.
No. Ammonia poisoning is caused from high levels of ammonia and is not contagious.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
242
Guests online
3,717
Total visitors
3,959

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom