Red gills, no amonia

PlantZombie

Hey fishlore!
I noticed one of my glofish danios has red gills. He likes to hide more than normal too. All my research suggests amoina burn but my test kit reads 0ppm for amonia and nitrites. Im thinking bacteria, low water quality? I just used my monthly does of Tetra Water Care Kit. Comes with 3 different products: Start Right, Start Zyme, and Correct Ph. I am curious if there are any medications that I could look into for a bacterial infection like this? Or any advice on improving water quality ?
It was near impossible to get a good photo of this guy. But you can see the red in this photo pretty well

alven

I wouldn't jump to medications right away without enough evidence to support the conclusion that you even have some sort of bacterial infection, and which in some cases can be solved without medication..

What type of test kit are you using, if I may ask?

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

I wouldn't jump to medications right away without enough evidence to support that you even have some sort of bacterial infection, and which in some cases can be solved without medication..

What type of test kit are you using, if I may ask?
I test with the API master fresh water test kit. And I use Seachem Prime during water changes. Which i know doesnt eliminate amonia. But I believe it is supposed to reduce the affects of amonia on the fish. This also leads me to believe the issue (if any) is something other than amonia

Upvote 0

alven

Seachem Prime only detoxifies ammonia for a given time, if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't permanently eradicate it.

Also, what are your nitrate readings? I know it might be asking a lot of questions but everything matters in these situations.

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Correct. Although, my worrys exist because the test kit never showed any sign of an amonia spike. There is currently an algae bloom problem though. Hair algae everywhere im not sure if that contributed to anything??

Upvote 0

alven

Correct. Although, my worrys exist because the test kit never showed any sign of an amonia spike. There is currently an algae bloom problem though. Hair algae everywhere im not sure if that contributed to anything??

Hmm. I doubt that the algae has anything to do with the fish as of right now. I understand that you claim that you see no signs of ammonia, but what are your nitrate readings? Also are you 100% positive that you have no ammonia? 0ppm ammonia is that bright bright true yellow.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Hey friend

There are a lot more things in our water than we generally test for... ammonia+nitrites+nitrates does not paint the full picture. Even the "full" cycle we usually consider is a bit more complicated than that. In reality, fish excrete urea, which gets converted to ammonia, which gets converted to nitrites, which gets converted to nitrates, and if you use the proper biomedia then your nitrates may even be converted to N gas or NO2.

In short, I would just make sure that your water is clean. Keep up with water changes. Indian almond leaves and alder cones can help release beneficial compounds to promote slime coat health.

Using botanicals along with live plants and high quality media will make a world of difference for you, even if your ammonia and nitrite read "0" :D

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Hey friend

There are a lot more things in our water than we generally test for... ammonia+nitrites+nitrates does not paint the full picture. Even the "full" cycle we usually consider is a bit more complicated than that. In reality, fish excrete urea, which gets converted to ammonia, which gets converted to nitrites, which gets converted to nitrates, and if you use the proper biomedia then your nitrates may even be converted to N gas or NO2.

In short, I would just make sure that your water is clean. Keep up with water changes. Indian almond leaves and alder cones can help release beneficial compounds to promote slime coat health.

Using botanicals along with live plants and high quality media will make a world of difference for you, even if your ammonia and nitrite read "0" :D
Thank you so much for your comments! I will try those options. The tank is a 20h with about 8 pots worth of plants. Activated carbon recently was removed, but the fluval biomax rings, bio foam, and edge prefilter sponge still exist and are cleaned on a staggered sceduel with water changes.
Hmm. I doubt that the algae has anything to do with the fish as of right now. I understand that you claim that you see no signs of ammonia, but what are your nitrate readings? Also are you 100% positive that you have no ammonia? 0ppm ammonia is that bright bright true yellow.
In this test, the amonia is not a bright true yellow, however. It must be below 0.25 ppm because it is yellow.. Lol I am just confused and will continue to moniter my tank. Maybe I am over reacting? But if it is ammonia burn. I will preform a larger water change?

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

looks perfect to me but if you're concerned then a water change never hurts

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies