Red gills, is this ammonia poisoning?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SilverMIssy, Aug 1, 2015.

1. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

So I noticed that my guy's left gill is looking a little red. The other looks fine. I need advice on how to proceed. Not sure if I'm just over analyzing and that's how his gills always were or if they are actually irritated. I did a 20% water change Wed when ammonia hit .50 ppm and another 25% water change friday due to my ammonia level reaching 1 ppm within two days. Right now the ammonia has stayed .25-.50 ppm for 2 days and I've dosed prime both those days with stability.

Notice how the right is not as red:

He is acting normal with no heavy breathing.

2. happyfins14

happyfins14Valued MemberMember

This happened with my betta after he was in a 1/2 gallon hospital bowl for a week. Despite daily water changes his gills did redden. I recommend doing a 50% water change and cleaning the gravel, then testing the water either by taking a cup to Petco or Petsmart or by using a liquid test kit. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

I'm not sure if the photo's are visible so I'll post again.

Right:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438481143.173437.jpg

Left:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438481155.144705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

My tank is not cycled yet so I was hoping to stay away from cleaning the gravel just yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

My veiltail betta is blue and one of his fins also has a red streak on one of his fins and it's been like that so I can only assume he came with that way. Maybe yours is the same way.

5. happyfins14

happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Yes it could just be his natural coloring. If only one gill is red I wouldn't worry :)