Red gill on Tetra?

• Thread starter gray18
  • Start date

gray18

Hello all. I have 9 Glowlight tetras that were introduced to my tank a couple weeks ago. They have all been doing great. Except for I noticed one recently.. has a strange look to it. On one side of his body, where their gills are at, I swear it looks like it was ripped open somehow and has a large openish looking red spot.

Any idea of what that could be?

Basil

Well Known
Some fish can have a missing gill plate or I’ve read it can be translucent. And I’m guessing it can be either an injury or congenital.
I have two like this; a barb and a rasbora. I did not notice it on the barb when I purchased them but noticed it shortly after. I’ve had her for over 2 years and she’s doing fine.
The rasbora I noticed as I was acclimating them. Same thing though, no issues in the almost year that I’ve had them.
So I would just keep an eye on it. Keep the water clean. :) If it starts looking infected or the fish starts acting ill, then you might need to take action.

A201

Fishlore VIP
The problem might simply be a deformity. Over the years I've occasionally seen various Tetras at my LFS who were missing either one or both gill plates.
The affected Tetras I saw appeared normal other than the deformity. Unknown if the problem poses increased susceptibility.

Flyfisha

Well Known
I believe this is a result of nipping from other fish of the same species.
Clean water may help a recovery to a long life if it’s a new injury.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Its more than likely a missing gill plate. I had a neon missing one and he lived good (Until I introduced columnaris into the tank). It shouldn't affect the fish's living condition only its appearance. It might honestly be a little beneficial as now you can see if his gills change colors or look eat up with something. Not to sure on that part though.

Top Bottom