Red fin shark and plec compatability.

1. Strannik Initiate Member

Question, are a pleco and a red-fin likely to co-exist peacefully in my 80Ltr tank? I have a hollow log in which the shark has taken up residence and it does not tolerate visitors of any kind. I would really like a plec but I am worried that the plec may seek a hiding place and get a good kicking off the shark :;swls.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Strannik

2. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Well I wouldn't get a pleco because a red tailed shark really needs a bare minimum of a 3 foot tank and they don't like other bottom feeders unless you have a much bigger tank. Also I would reccomend just returning or rehoming the shark.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that the tank is too small to coexist together. The shark needs a larger tank - 200-300L. 55-75 US gallons.

4. Strannik Initiate Member

Yeah they need about 55G right? I'll look at rehoming him when he's a bit bigger but for now he's very small and not causing a problem for the others, he also seems to enjoy foraging on the bottom and seems quite passive unless the others swim into the log he lives in.

I have MTS so there will be another home for him coming in the future! :D Once he's rehomed I can get my pleco.

Thanks guys!

Strannik