Red fin shark and plec compatability.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Strannik, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Strannik

StrannikNew MemberMember

Question, are a pleco and a red-fin likely to co-exist peacefully in my 80Ltr tank? I have a hollow log in which the shark has taken up residence and it does not tolerate visitors of any kind. I would really like a plec but I am worried that the plec may seek a hiding place and get a good kicking off the shark :;swls.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Strannik

2. josh7Well Known MemberMember

Well I wouldn't get a pleco because a red tailed shark really needs a bare minimum of a 3 foot tank and they don't like other bottom feeders unless you have a much bigger tank. Also I would reccomend just returning or rehoming the shark.

3. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I agree that the tank is too small to coexist together. The shark needs a larger tank - 200-300L. 55-75 US gallons.

4. OP
    OP
    Strannik

StrannikNew MemberMember

Yeah they need about 55G right? I'll look at rehoming him when he's a bit bigger but for now he's very small and not causing a problem for the others, he also seems to enjoy foraging on the bottom and seems quite passive unless the others swim into the log he lives in.

I have MTS so there will be another home for him coming in the future! :D Once he's rehomed I can get my pleco.

Thanks guys!

Strannik

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice