Red Fin disease Goldfish

• Thread starter Jenaskris
  • Start date

Jenaskris

It stated with Fish being dormant and laying low all the time. Then we saw the reddish appearance on the basal end of Fin. It's become maroonish and I feel concerned. Attaching the pics for assistance. I have platys, White cat fish along with Gold fish alage eater. All are doing just fine however I have quarantined Goldie in a different tank. Have been treating with Melafix since 4 days, however I removed the charcoal medium yesterday. Since then I have seen a little improvement however the inflammation still persist

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
The red patches look to be Septicemia, a symptom of some
type of internal infection.
The hemorrhaging can be caused by either a bacteria or virus.
I think you're doing about all that can be done. Sometimes it heals up on its own.
Hope things get better soon.

jkkgron2

Well Known
I actually successfully treated a much more mild case in my goldies Using Furan-2. But this is very severe and may be hard to treat.

Jenaskris

I have cranked the temp today and he is moving better. Haven't fed since yesterday and I already pity him

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jenaskris said:
I have cranked the temp today and he is moving better. Haven't fed since yesterday and I already pity him
You’ll need meds if he’s going to survive. I don’t know if he’ll make it because of how severe it is but you could try furan-2.

Jenaskris

Update: The inflammation has reduced. The fish has started moving well. Fed pich of pellets dipped in garlic juice. I am closely monitoring him.

Jenaskris

Jenaskris said:
Update: The inflammation has reduced. The fish has started moving well. Fed pich of pellets dipped in garlic juice. I am closely monitoring him.

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
That's good news. Why did you cranck up the temp ?

Jenaskris

I'm sorry but I wasn't using the heater for a long time. The cold water was the culprit.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Jenaskris said:
I'm sorry but I wasn't using the heater for a long time. The cold water was the culprit.
But goldfish are coldwater fish, so don't exactly understand what you mean.

Jenaskris

Yes but the temperature of the water can't go below 20 degrees. It's detrimental for gold fishes.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jenaskris said:
Yes but the temperature of the water can't go below 20 degrees. It's detrimental for gold fishes.
Actually they can got a bit lower. I know that’s it gotten into the low 60’s (like 62) for my goldies who are thriving.

Jenaskris

I have taken your suggestion and mellowed the temp down. I have added paracidol which is copper based medicine and I see significant improvement. It was hard to capture the picture as the fish is moving pretty well (not complaining )

Attaching pics

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Especially in case of bacterial infections crancking up the temp has an opposite result. That's whybI asked.

Jenaskris

I am not sure if removing charcoal medium made Melafix more potent or quarantining or stopping the feeding, which one of those helped. But I think it was the charcoal medium which was the culprit here.

Jenaskris

The fish is swimming okay now. I am treating him with Api general cure. But I am still worried as I noticed some reddish lesions around the gills.

Attachments

Top Bottom