Red Eyes Vs Neons

Djimmi
I recently got a 20 gallon tank. Inside, I have 3 Neon Tetras, 3 X-Ray Tetras, and 5 Red Eye Tetras. A few hours ago, one Red Eye began attacking the Neons, but it usually always goes for one specific Neon, just one Red Eye, nothing more. Right now, we have the Neons in a holding tank, in fear that any more Red Eye attacks would happen. Is there any reason as to why a single Red Eye is attacking my Neons?

Yay! The Red Eyes and Neons are at peace. I'll still monitor them closely though. Just in case.

Yay! The two species are now at peace! I'll just monitor them closely for a few days or so, just in case.

Shellback
That's interesting. I have 3 Red Eye tetras in my 30 gallon tank and one of them can be a bit of a bully to some of the other tetras, especially my Cardinal Tetras. A week ago I had 10 Cardinals and today I have only two. I'm not saying that the red eye killed them but he was poking at then a lot. Also my Betta died this week very quickly. I don't know what is going on in my tank. Someone suggested that I add more Red Eye's and they wouldn't be so aggressive. They are nice fish, but not sure if I want more.

Djimmi
That's interesting. I have 3 Red Eye tetras in my 30 gallon tank and one of them can be a bit of a bully to some of the other tetras, especially my Cardinal Tetras. A week ago I had 10 Cardinals and today I have only two. I'm not saying that the red eye killed them but he was poking at then a lot. Also my Betta died this week very quickly. I don't know what is going on in my tank. Someone suggested that I add more Red Eye's and they wouldn't be so aggressive. They are nice fish,
That's interesting. I have 3 Red Eye tetras in my 30 gallon tank and one of them can be a bit of a bully to some of the other tetras, especially my Cardinal Tetras. A week ago I had 10 Cardinals and today I have only two. I'm not saying that the red eye killed them but he was poking at then a lot. Also my Betta died this week very quickly. I don't know what is going on in my tank. Someone suggested that I add more Red Eye's and they wouldn't be so aggressive. They are nice fish, but not sure if I want more.
Do you have any idea as to why it's happening? I'm new to fish keeping and I'm really concerned.

Shellback
No, sorry I don't know why it's happening. Red Eyes are supposed to be very peaceful fish. But I suppose there could be a renegade in any group. I am also new to fish keeping, started in April. My Ember Tetras and Rummy Nose Tetras are doing very well with the Red Eye Tetras.

Djimmi
No, sorry I don't know why it's happening. Red Eyes are supposed to be very peaceful fish. But I suppose there could be a renegade in any group. I am also new to fish keeping, started in April. My Ember Tetras and Rummy Nose Tetras are doing very well with the Red Eye Tetras.
Thanks anyways. Hopefully the two make up and just coexist.

Redshark1
I keep Neon Tetras and noticed they are at the bottom of the pecking order. I view Red-eyed Tetras as robust and combative based on my experience with them. I would not keep them with my Neons.

I now keep Neons without other shoaling fish, just with Bristlenoses which don't bother them and which they seem completely unafraid of.

This must help their stress levels and, in turn, their disease resistance and longevity.

My Neons came with disease problems (the Columnaris strain that is now so common) and I have had to nurse them back to health after a terrible start.

Djimmi
I keep Neon Tetras and noticed they are at the bottom of the pecking order. I view Red-eyed Tetras as robust and combative based on my experience with them. I would not keep them with my Neons.

I now keep Neons without other shoaling fish, just with Bristlenoses which don't bother them and which they seem completely unafraid of.

This must help their stress levels and, in turn, their disease resistance and longevity.

My Neons came with disease problems (the Columnaris strain that is now so common) and I have had to nurse them back to health after a terrible start.

They seemed to be just fine together until a few yesterday. People are saying that Red Eyes are really peaceful fish. I'm planning on removing the one bully Red Eye and putting the Neons back in. Does that seem like a good idea? Anyway, it's always been 1 specific Red Eye that keeps doing it.

Redshark1
Well if you can monitor things it might be the thing to do who knows?

I'd feed the Red Eyes when you put the Neons back in though to distract them.

trainandfishguy
I have Red Eyes that are fully grown and they did in fact take out a group on Neons I had a few years back. The neons did not fit in their mouths but they still ganged up and nipped them to death. I was shocked given that redeyes are supposed to be peaceful.

Redshark1
Thanks for reporting your experience trainandfishguy.

The weak are often taken advantage of.

I imagine Neons are very effective in their natural environment, but in aquaria are vulnerable to stress and even real violence in the crowded conditions.

Luckily they look great in a species tank, even better than in a community tank in my opinion.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
BruinAquatics
Replies
Views
jamesonuk
Replies