Red Eye Tetra

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by San03, Apr 12, 2017.

1. San03

San03New MemberMember

Hello.. I hope someone can maybe tell me what may be going on with my fish..he's a RET he was fine last nite but today I found him swimming crazy and breathing hard..he's in a 55 gallon tank with 3 other RET ,6 tiger barbs, 4 Bala sharks and one sucker fish..they all seem fine but him..

Nitrates 0
    Nitrites 0
    Ph 7
    KH 80
    GH 30

Tank has been set up for about 8 month

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

What is ammonia? What test kit are you using? What type of sucker fish?

3. OP
    OP
    San03

San03New MemberMember

It's one that test for everything not sure the name right off hand..ammonia levels are 0 and I do water changes like clock work every 2 weeks and use prime...mmmm i think the name of the sucker fish starts with a p and it's a really long word..sry I could spell it if I tried lol...I know this sounds stupid but could it be old age I have a the 4 RET and the 4 of the Tiger barbs for over 3 years

4. aquatickeeper

Can you take a picture of the sucker fish? Is the test kit called API Freshwater Master Test Kit? Can you take a picture of the red eye tetra too?

5. OP
    OP
    San03

San03New MemberMember

I did take him out of the big tank and put him in a small transport tank cuz he was struggling to swim

Attached Files:

6. aquatickeeper

@CindiL can help you with this.

The sucker fish looks like a pleco to me

7. FishandFun

FishandFunValued MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    San03

San03New MemberMember

Yes that's what he is

He's fine though as are the others it's just the one RET

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  9. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Its possible he's reaching the end of his life span if you've had them for over 3 years and he was probably 5-6 months old when you got him. I think your guess is a good one. You have obviously taken very good care of them!

Do you see anything on him at all? Like fungus? And all the other fish are fine?

10. OP
    OP
    San03

San03New MemberMember

Awww thank you yes I try and take very good care of them they are my fin babies..I love them

No nothing at all is on him, I have checked him from head to tail fin and the others all seem fine..just hate to lose him if it can be helped and I'm worried for the others if it is something they could get

11. CindiL

Have you added any new fish to this tank recently that could bring in disease? Does he scratch on anything in the tank?

12. OP
    OP
    San03

San03New MemberMember

Only new fish would of been about 3 months ago and that was the pelco which he has done amazing when from about 2" to 6"...seems very very healthy growing like a weed lol...I haven't noticed him scratching

13. CindiL

Ok, well probably enough time after getting him to rule out a disease specifically brought in by him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice