Red-Eye Pufferfish eating bloodworms!!

carsonsgjs

I was eyeing some of these in my lfs yesterday - interesting little fish.

RogueFebreze

I was eyeing some of these in my lfs yesterday - interesting little fish.
If you have a spare tank and want a puffer community, can't go wrong with these guys.

carsonsgjs

If you have a spare tank and want a puffer community, can't go wrong with these guys.
Just got into the world of puffers and have a pair of peas at the moment. Unfortunately I’m apparently pushing my luck with the 4 tanks I have!

NotFishyFishGuy

I was under the impression that those puffers wouldn’t do well in communities. How big is your tank? I have a 15 gallon with a red eye I just got last saturday.

RogueFebreze

I was under the impression that those puffers wouldn’t do well in communities. How big is your tank? I have a 15 gallon with a red eye I just got last saturday.
Do you know what type of red eye you have? I have 8 of them in a 40 gallon breeder community tank.

NotFishyFishGuy

Not exactly sure but I know its a male red eye.

RogueFebreze

Not exactly sure but I know its a male red eye.
does he have a red tail fin and a red dot on his dorsal fin? or do you have a picture and then I might be able to help you identify which species you have

NotFishyFishGuy

24C96626-4C39-4F5B-9AAC-BB174F504032.jpeg
354607BE-416D-42C3-A0B0-C19E04A41458.jpeg

RogueFebreze

that looks like carinotetraodon irrubesco, or a red-eye red-tail puffer to me. i have 8 irrubescos in my community tank and i keep them in a 1:1 ratio male to female and they are peaceful with each other and tank mates. they are very fun to watch. if you plan on getting a bigger tank, i highly recommend starting a community of them

NotFishyFishGuy

that looks like carinotetraodon irrubesco, or a red-eye red-tail puffer to me. i have 8 irrubescos in my community tank and i keep them in a 1:1 ratio male to female and they are peaceful with each other and tank mates. they are very fun to watch. if you plan on getting a bigger tank, i highly recommend starting a community of them
i was thinking of getting a second one in that 15, but not sure if that would work, especially since i already have one in there. Also just a side question, how long did it take for them to warm up to you? that guys always hiding and if he sees me he slowly makes his way back into the forest of java ferns and moss or behind the driftwood that he loves. He also doesn’t really come out to eat, I have to make sure I place some worms right next to his favorite hiding spots.

RogueFebreze

i was thinking of getting a second one in that 15, but not sure if that would work, especially since i already have one in there. Also just a side question, how long did it take for them to warm up to you? that guys always hiding and if he sees me he slowly makes his way back into the forest of java ferns and moss or behind the driftwood that he loves. He also doesn’t really come out to eat, I have to make sure I place some worms right next to his favorite hiding spots.
mine took a couple of hours before they came to the top to eat, and now all 8 will fly to the top of the tank whenever they see me. however, i have never kept a solo irrubesco. supposedly, they live in loose groups in the wild, so it is possible he might be a little shy without a couple of friends

NotFishyFishGuy

mine took a couple of hours before they came to the top to eat, and now all 8 will fly to the top of the tank whenever they see me. however, i have never kept a solo irrubesco. supposedly, they live in loose groups in the wild, so it is possible he might be a little shy without a couple of friends
Ok ive had mine for a week and he’s still pretty shy. I’m heading to my LFS tomorrow anyways so I might pick up a second guy. A third would be too many right?

RogueFebreze

Ok ive had mine for a week and he’s still pretty shy. I’m heading to my LFS tomorrow anyways so I might pick up a second guy. A third would be too many right?
3 would probably be too many. i kept 4 in a 29 gallon and that worked pretty well. i would get another female, 2 males in a tank on the smaller side may fight

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RogueFebreze
Replies
Views
RogueFebreze
Replies
Views
Hotbacon143
  • TheAnglerAquarist
  • Puffers