Help Red Empress not eating

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does anyone know why my red empress refuses to eat? My water is perfectly fine, 0-0-5, always keep up on my WCs and maintenance. He just stopped eating about 3 or 4 days ago.

Also sorry @A201 to tag you in this but you always seem to have the answers with my african cichlids and I'm worried about my empress.

Also he isnt as pale as the pictures make him look. He has a little more color .

Attachments

Best Answer - View A201's answer

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long has it been off feed? Is anyone bullying it? Did you switch food recently?

When my Africans stop eating it is one of two things, a holding female or a sick/bullied fish. I've had a couple fish come down with malawi bloat and they look perfectly fine when they stop eating, then they start to bloat pretty bad. Your fish does not appear to be holding and look pretty ok to me so I can't say for sure what's going on without further details.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Demeter said:
How long has it been off feed? Is anyone bullying it? Did you switch food recently?

When my Africans stop eating it is one of two things, a holding female or a sick/bullied fish. I've had a couple fish come down with malawi bloat and they look perfectly fine when they stop eating, then they start to bloat pretty bad. Your fish does not appear to be holding and look pretty ok to me so I can't say for sure what's going on without further details.
Hasnt eaten for 3 or 4 days, never gets bullied or bullied others. Really he swims slowly around the upper tank . Doesnt even get excited when I come to the tank like the rest of the fish.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And what are you feeding? Almost sounds like the beginning so Malawi bloat to me, the fish will start to look more pale and act lethargic w/o eating. I'd definitely keep a close on eye on it, maybe even try to quarantine if you can and possibly try treating with epsom salt (as a laxative and/or fluid withdrawal, perfectly harmless).

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Demeter said:
And what are you feeding? Almost sounds like the beginning so Malawi bloat to me, the fish will start to look more pale and act lethargic w/o eating. I'd definitely keep a close on eye on it, maybe even try to quarantine if you can and possibly try treating with epsom salt (as a laxative and/or fluid withdrawal, perfectly harmless).
I feed a variety of different foods, all meant for african cichlids and all pellet or chip form.

Would the empress be okay in a 30 gallon that has a 2 inch oscar or will they fight?

Just long enough to treat with salnot permanently

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once they stop eating, really nothing can be done. Demeter had a good suggestion regarding the Epsom salt.
I've had a few fish over the years contract "Bloat". I wasn't able to save them.
Bloat is said to start as a intestinal blockage, which soon becomes septic.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A201 said:
Once they stop eating, really nothing can be done. Demeter had a good suggestion regarding the Epsom salt.
I've had a few fish over the years contract "Bloat". I wasn't able to save them.
Bloat is said to start as a intestinal blockage, which soon becomes septic.
Damnet I really like the red empress. Is it possible it's something other than bloat? It doesnt look bloated at all.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It seems that when a cichlid suddenly stops eating, it's either Hexamita or Bloat. Both nearly impossible to cure.
I really like my Red Empress too. Hopefully he will snap out of it while in the QT tank.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A201 said:
It seems that when a cichlid suddenly stops eating, it's either Hexamita or Bloat. Both nearly impossible to cure.
I really like my Red Empress too. Hopefully he will snap out of it while in the QT tank.
My quarantine tank is currently holding a 2 inch oscar. The empress is 5 or 5.5 inches. Would they be okay together in a 30 gallon for a week or so?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You never know for sure, but should probably be okay.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's long stringy poop. It indicates possible constipation or intestinal parasites.
Hopefully he's able to evacuate his bowels & start eating again.

New Threads