red-eared sliders

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by Manicivy, May 24, 2006.

1. ManicivyValued MemberMember

I'm still pretty new to fish forum so figured I would just post a pic of my 2 red-eared sliders Murtagh and Bowser. I am a zookeeper and people are constantly releasing turtles into our tropic building aviary because there are some nice streams running through. But obviously, due to the diseases they could bring in we cannot keep them. So these two little guys were rescued. The larger one, Murtagh I dont believe had ever even been put in water because after I took him home he would not step in the water fora  full week! seemed scared of it. But he has relaxed now and is a very friendly turtle. I bring them outside as often as I can and he will sometimes crawl into my lap! They are still small, less than 4 inches across, so they are in a 30 gallon long for now. I hope to one day build a pond for them outdoors!
    36.jpg

2. hjkagaNew MemberMember

do RES tame easily? my son wants some sort of turtle but wants something he can hold. would and res be a good choice or should i go for a small tortoise? i have a tank big enough for and res and can care for him properly, so that is not a prob.

3. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Wow! They are healthy little beauties! We also have a rescue from a pet store that was given to us because he had a big bump on the side of his face, and the customer were complaining. He seems very content, but is not friendly like yours. He's quite grumpy, and only wants to be fed and left alone, but he keeps us laughing!

14.jpg

4. ManicivyValued MemberMember

Turtles are definetely more amusing than people give them credit for! They really do have individual personalities. hjkaga, as long as your son is old enough to remember to wash his hands every time he handles them, the majority of them are tame if you handle them often. On the other hand, ny Bowser has always been a biter tho, I would say pick one out and give them a test run.

5. scripted2changeNew MemberMember

the peninsula cooters tend not to snap as much. I have 5 RES and 1 cooter at my house and then 2 other RES and 1 other cooter at my friends house. Great pets not too much work yet lol..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice