Red eared sliders and fish.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can Red Eared Sliders be kept with tropical fish in a 150 Gallon community tank with bottom feeders, peaceful cichlids, gouramis, etc. It is going to be highly planted and with driftwood in it.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably not but you should ask Gunnie as she is like the only one I know who has red-eared sliders here.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll send the link to Gunnie and see but I would think no. Turtles are really messy and need a way to get out of the water occasionally. oh I almost forgot they love fish for snacks
Carol

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Turtles are super messy. I have my tank set up where I have to drain and refill it weekly because the water gets so dirty. I would guess if you had fish in it, the rule would be don't get too attached to what fish you put in there because they will get eaten if the turtle has the chance. Red eared sliders poop, pee, and eat in their water. Your turtles will also have little respect for any decorations in the tank including live plants. They can be quite destructive, and also will eat them. You will have to make sure any plants in the tank are safe for turtles. I throw anacharis in mine every once in awhile for him to eat, and he loves them. Mixing fish and turtles can be done, but it will probably be a very high maintenance tank with probably at least twice weekly water changes.

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
even with a super powerful filter. By that i mean like a really strong external filter. In future I might get a 120 gallon pond in my backyard. Is that a fair sized pond for a turtle?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have a red eared slider and messy does not even begin to explain it. We currently filter the water at about 300% per hour... I mean the water gets filtered about 3 times each hour...

Example = 20 gallons with 350 gallon per hour filter at full blast all the time..

And our tank still requires heavy weekly maintenance. He destroys everything in the tank, removes all of the gravel from the bottom and puts it out of his way, knocks the heater off the glass --- pretty sure on purpose --- and has even taken the filter apart on more than one occasion...

Other than that he is a great pet... LOL!!

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow! do you have your turtle in a pond or tank?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is in a tank... In Michigan Ponds are hard to keep turtles in... At least for me they are..

s-man

Reaction score
hello.i am simon from macedonia.i have three aqariums with fishes.also i have an aquarium with five red-eared sliders.i keep 12 angel fish.i am breeding angel fish for a long time.i am fourteen years.i am 7th grade.that's all for me.

s-man

Reaction score
maybe toonight i'll send some pictures on the forum.

bigdave45

Reaction score
???Hello i'm new here but i've got a 30 long turtle tank an his not mess at all
we've had the turtle for about 4 year we caught him at a small age . we clean the tank about very 2 to 3 weeks
there an under gravel filter an a hang on the tank filer too
  • [

bigdave45

Reaction score
we've kept about 3 or 4 fish in the tank while i was cleaning my 75 gal they were a giant danio
a red barbe an some skirts ,,

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Be careful because red-eared slider will eat small fish but not big fish. Mostly, They will eat fish that can fit their mouth like minnow but not redhook silverdollar.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom