Red Crystal Dilemma

Ken Ooi

IMG_8370.JPG Hi, been breeding Red Cherry Shrimps for six months now and getting lots of tiny shrimplets. I added Crystal Black shrimps and they grow fine. I have about 4 in the tank now for five weeks. During the 6 months I lost 2 Red Crystal Shrimps and today feeling confident placed a new one which died within minutes. I acclimated it by placing the bag in the tank for 5 minutes and then added a bit of tank water each at a time for 3 times before releasing shrimp into the water. I had two beautiful yellow shrimp last month but they lasted a week before they too perished. So far, 2 yellow shrimp, 1 orange shrimp, 3 Red Crystal Shrimps all died. What I have in the tank are Red Cherry Shrimps, at least 4 Bee Shrimp, 2 Tiger Shrimps. My temperature reads 26, Ammonia and Nitrates are 0. PH is about 7. I have used Beta Glugen powder. I feed HikarI Shrimp food twice a day. What should I do? Feeling like I lost the plot. All the shrimps are from the same fish shop. The RCS do fine and breed a lot. I change water twice a week. Tank is 14L and planted with Java Moss and with a sponge filter. I use a gravel siphon to clean the substrate.
Updated test readings: ammonia and Nitrite both at 0 ppm. PH 7.6 ppm and Nitrate 5 ppm. API liquid testers.

TexasDomer

Do you know your GH and KH?

Ken Ooi

Do you know your GH and KH?

Yes, I just tested it. On the API test kit:

KH = 3 drops
GH = 6 drops

On that API test conversion chart which baffles me as it says 3 drops is 3 dKH is 53.7 ppm GH/KH

While the 6 drops is 6dKH is 107.4 ppm GH/KH

TexasDomer

Your KH is a little low. Could your pH be fluctuating at all?

Here's some info on crystal shrimp:

Ken Ooi

PH might be showing at max. This test doesn't read higher levels. How is KH controlled? Adding more calcium? I've got some mineral powder I ordered that's waiting for collection. The BenibachI balls were no longer available for order from my online store.

TexasDomer

There are many ways to raise KH. Adding calcium in the form of crushed coral or such will increase it.

Ken Ooi

PH might be showing at max. This test doesn't read higher levels. How is KH controlled? Adding more calcium? I've got some mineral powder I ordered that's waiting for collection. The BenibachI balls were no longer available for order

There are many ways to raise KH. Adding calcium in the form of crushed coral or such will increase it.

Well thanks. I'm waiting for delivery of the mineral powder and will add these in. Is there anything else I might do in the meantime?

TexasDomer

What kind of mineral powder is it?

I got some limestone chunks from my local landscape place for free - that'll help.

Are you going to keep the Crystal shrimp? I was assuming you were going to give up on them, but if you want to keep them, increasing your KH may not be the best thing.

Ken Ooi

What kind of mineral powder is it?

I got some limestone chunks from my local landscape place for free - that'll help.

Are you going to keep the Crystal shrimp? I was assuming you were going to give up on them, but if you want to keep them, increasing your KH may not be the best thing.

I bought it online and it's a mineral additive specifically for shrimp. I'm not going to take on more Crystal Red Shrimp as my losses are mounting. The remaining shrimp are alright so far just the Reds are impossible to survive under the current water parameters. Its possible that my water PH might be higher than 7.6 as the maximum readout on my current test kit shows.

TexasDomer

Since you're not going to keep more crystals, then I would increase the KH a bit for the RCS, to help keep the pH stable.

Do you know the name of the mineral additive? It might not do anything for KH.

Ken Ooi

I bought the powder from an online store. It's BenibachI brand one of the most reknowned brand for shrimp. The photo of the product is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8664.PNG
    IMG_8664.PNG
    270.1 KB · Views: 69

TexasDomer

I'm not sure that's a good product - I hope you didn't waste your money

I couldn't find more than some sketchy info on it. I would use a better buffer instead. Seachem makes a trusted line of buffers.

fishfanman

In my experience CRS prefer cooler temps, like 74 and clean water.

Ken Ooi

In my experience CRS prefer cooler temps, like 74 and clean water.

I've tried many times to lower the temperature on my heater but it still bumps up to 26C. There is always debrI on the substrate though I do clean it twice a week.

I'm not sure that's a good product - I hope you didn't waste your money

I couldn't find more than some sketchy info on it. I would use a better buffer instead. Seachem makes a trusted line of buffers.

Well, it comes from Japan. I would say it's like buying Shisheido cosmetics vs Lancôme. I wouldn't think that it's a packet of snake oil but I would give it a try and report back. They also sell 'special clay' suitable to grow sensitive Crystal Red shrimps. So either we accept this with a grain of salt?

TexasDomer

I'm just not convinced it'll do anything for your KH, which is what I would work on for your RCS. I think you'll still need to add something to raise it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
TheDarkAbyss
Replies
Views
Paradise fish
Replies
Views