Red clawed crab sexing at store

ButtercuptheOranda

I’m new to freshwater crabs I mean I kept hermit crabs for years but never red clawed crabs I saw the differences between the males and females online but for me it’s still hard to tell and petsmart where they sell them at doesn’t know even like a thing about them but I want at Least 1 female for my male cause it would be tragic if I got a male on accident and they killed each other. He’s in a cycled 10 gallon by himself. what do I do? One idea of mine is to ask the worker to google it and we could look together but I don’t know

YellowGuppy

There's a chance that you'll get a competent retail worker who will have the information you're looking for, but never count on that happening. I've had people at my local pet store give TERRIBLE advice, and most of the time I've had the benefit of knowing when what I was told was truthful and accurate versus uninformed guesses.

Instead, try to hone your skills and gather as much information as possible. Don't make a purchase unless you're certain - it's not worth saving another trip to the store if it means accidentally buying a male and having one or both crabs injured or dead. If you aren't certain that is a female, buy from someone who knows enough to sell you the right thing, or come back another time when you can be certain.

ButtercuptheOranda

There's a chance that you'll get a competent retail worker who will have the information you're looking for, but never count on that happening. I've had people at my local pet store give TERRIBLE advice, and most of the time I've had the benefit of knowing when what I was told was truthful and accurate versus uninformed guesses.

Instead, try to hone your skills and gather as much information as possible. Don't make a purchase unless you're certain - it's not worth saving another trip to the store if it means accidentally buying a male and having one or both crabs injured or dead. If you aren't certain that is a female, buy from someone who knows enough to sell you the right thing, or come back another time when you can be certain.
That makes perfect sense I never thought of that to be honest thanks!
I’ll do my research!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
TheDarkAbyss
Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies